IP Counsel, Rights Management
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a highly motivated team player with a passion for online copyright and related intellectual property matters to serve as IP Counsel, with an emphasis on videos. The role will tackle cutting-edge issues on a global scale arising from content posted by users on Facebook, Instagram, and the company's other services. There will be a special focus on intermediary liability and IP rights management with respect to videos, including Facebook's Rights Manager tool (https://rightsmanager.fb.com/). Days are fast-paced and action-packed, and the ideal candidate will be eager to roll up their sleeves and problem-solve on matters of all kinds. The position is based in Facebook's Menlo Park, California, headquarters and is highly cross-functional, working closely with other legal teams and key business units, including product and engineering, operations, sales and partnerships, and public policy.
- Provide legal advice cross-functionally on IP issues, particularly copyright, relating to videos posted by users
- Support key business units for all Rights Manager features, including video matching, reporting/blocking, monetization, and more
- Develop and apply policies and practices arising under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), E-Commerce Directive, and related laws
- Handle matters relating to intermediary liability, including notice-and-takedown and repeat infringement
- Work closely with global teams across departments and offices, as well as an international network of outside counsel
- JD degree and membership in at least one state bar
- 3+ years relevant intellectual property-related experience, from in-house or at a law firm
- Experience with intermediary liability issues and laws (DMCA, E-Commerce Directive, etc.)
- Experience with copyright law, including concepts like fair use, and related IP matters
- Experience assessing legal, practical and business risks
- Experience with multi-tasking on competing priorities and projects
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top