IP Counsel, Notice & Takedown
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a highly motivated team player with a passion for online copyright, trademark, and defamation issues to serve as IP Counsel, Notice & Takedown. The role will tackle cutting-edge issues on a global scale arising from content posted by users on Facebook, Instagram, and the company’s other services. Days are fast-paced and action-packed, and the ideal candidate will be eager to roll up their sleeves and problem-solve on matters of all kinds, including video copyright infringements, counterfeit goods, defamatory posts, and more. The position is based in Facebook’s Menlo Park, California, headquarters and is highly cross-functional, working closely with other legal teams and key business units, including operations, product and engineering, sales and partnerships, and public policy.
- Provide legal advice on incoming IP reports relating to content posted by users on the company’s services, including Facebook and Instagram
- Develop and apply policies and practices arising under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), Communications Decency Act (CDA), E-Commerce Directive, and related local and international laws
- Work closely with teams across departments and offices, including partners in Austin, Texas, and Dublin, Ireland
- Advise on products built to support rights holders, including Rights Manager, and collaborate with legal colleagues on other company products raising IP issues
- Coordinate notice-and-takedown matters with a global network of outside counsel and provide guidance on IP litigation and legislation in the United State, Europe, and elsewhere
- JD degree and membership in at least one state bar
- 2+ years of relevant legal experience, either in-house or at a law firm
- Experience with intermediary liability issues and laws (DMCA, CDA, E-Commerce Directive, etc.)
- Experience with IP and defamation law, including concepts like fair use
- Experience assessing legal, practical and business risks
- Experience with multi-tasking on competing priorities and projects
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top