Infrastructure Construction Management Pre-Construction Manager
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a seasoned professional to join our Data Center Construction Team as a Preconstruction Manager. The Preconstruction Manager must be experienced in leading and providing cost and schedule guidance to internal site selection, design and construction teams for a variety of retrofit and greenfield technology construction projects.
Our data centers are the foundation upon which our software operates with efficient ease. Building and operating technical infrastructure the "right" way from the day they go live is synonymous with ensuring capacity availability and capital conservatism. Architecting, constructing, operating and continually innovating the telecommunications and structured cabling infrastructure within our data centers is fundamental to ensuring high availability, the capacity to meet our extreme growth demands and obtaining the most robust and cost effective online service in the world!
The successful candidate will provide a technical perspective along with operational guidance to the partner team throughout the site selection process and will assist the Special Projects construction team in successfully launching new projects. The responsibilities of this role include coordinating and prioritizing a wide range of projects and processes within the site as well as communicating issues and successes with respective operations groups.
This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park offices. However, the project locations will be spread across the United States and the world. Managing stakeholders located across all regions and time zones is a significant challenge and is key to the success of our projects.
- Manage multiple simultaneous data center and technology construction preconstruction development projects from inception through hand over to the construction teams
- Manage ambiguity of project parameters and changing project limitations
- Coordinate with internal teams to define goals and scope of new capital development projects at or serving Facebook data centers
- Design management of Basis of Design development- from inception through IFC and managing scope change effects
- Interface with construction managers, technical program managers, cost estimators, and capacity planning teams to produce project requirements
- Ensure internal processes are followed and align expectations early on delivery timelines
- Develop preliminary schedules and cost estimates with high level resource planning and stakeholder coordination
- Lead regular status updates meetings to share current status with others: keep management well informed of changes to the project timeline as it develops
- Work in conjunction with the team's Subject Matter Experts (SME's) to understand the cost, quality and schedule impacts of new designs, materials and construction methods
- Strategic planning including detailed build requirements, project coordination and scheduling, suggested contractor profile selection and procurement.
- Mentor Data Center Construction staff
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, or equivalent technical degree and/or 8+ years direct professional experience in project planning and construction management
- Preconstruction (programming, scheduling and cost estimating) experience managing multi-group, multi-disciplinary development projects, data centers, satellite ground station construction or similar technical construction projects.
- Knowledgeable of the design and deployment of technical electrical and mechanical systems
- Experience managing vendor relationships and understanding of standard practices in the design and construction industry, including knowledge of fast-track design-build process and associated documents and contracts
- Experience with ground-up construction and greenfield site development requirements
- Experience with retrofit projects in live mission-critical environments or occupied spaces
- Coordination skills to lead a team of diverse backgrounds and experience towards a single project outcome
- Experience working with local, state, domestic and international construction build codes and health & safety requirements.
- Communication and reporting skills
- Knowledgeable in Primavera P6, MS Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Considerable (30%) domestic and international travel
- Data center construction experience
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top