Infra Connectivity Program Manager, Shared Backhaul
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Attempting to connect the world requires an alternative approach to building and deploying telecom network infrastructure. Through organizations like Telecom Infra Project (www.telecominfraproject.com (http://www.telecominfraproject.com/)) and through direct engagement with individual operators around the world, the Infrastructure Product Partnerships team collaborates globally with the telecoms industry to identify and execute a range of connectivity programs. If you have passion for working with operators, ISPs and other industry stakeholders to drive innovative, cutting edge, cost efficient wireless and networking infrastructure projects that will deliver internet access to the un-connected while significantly scaling current networks – then this is a great role for you. As a Infra Connectivity Program Manager focused on fiber infrastructure initiatives, you will work closely with a broad Facebook cross-functional team to engage partners in the area of fiber backhaul infrastructure, including identifying potential bottlenecks for connectivity, devising and planning infrastructure expansion and structuring projects that support infrastructure sharing and collaboration. In parallel, you will interface with MNOs, ISPs and wholesale bandwidth providers (both terrestrial and submarine) to help Facebook positively impact the diverse telecoms ecosystem. This position is full time and is based in Menlo Park, CA.
- Technically-oriented individual with a well-rounded telecoms business background dedicated to driving fiber and other shared backhaul infrastructure deployments especially in emerging markets (SSA, APAC and /or LATAM).
- Support the full lifecycle of infrastructure projects from identification, impact definition and planning through structuring, contract development and beyond into actual deployment, infrastructure acceptance and operational launch.
- Define creative approaches for telecom network deployment and partnership structures that will help deliver on the vision for open access, wholesale network business models and large scale impact on connectivity.
- Advocate internally at Facebook and the partner community at large on how to maximize opportunities to successfully deploy new telecom infrastructure across partners.
- Contribute to development of local, regional and international network strategies aimed at radically reducing the cost of high bandwidth services while simultaneously increasing the fiber network footprint.
- Identify key infrastructure bottlenecks and assess common requests from operator partners and other industry stakeholders to structure joint projects (Facebook and partners).
- Assemble presentation materials and other written documentation in support of cross-functional communications with Facebook as well as with our external partners.
- Work with cross-functional teams (Finance, Legal, Business Development, Regulatory and Policy) to develop project requirements, gain broad support and attain project approval.
- Communicate impact driven plans to senior management, the broader organization and external market ecosystems.
- Stay abreast of developments in the telecom infrastructure space and share that knowledge with the wider Facebook team.
- Support the direction and expansion of the team, helping to scope future roles as the charter of the team grows.
- Previous telecom experience (10+ years) in telecom infrastructure development or in network development for one or more key infrastructure areas: terrestrial fiber, submarine, wireless access, backhaul and core networking.
- Familiar with the basics of fiber and other backhaul infrastructure planning and deployment: route design, construction / civil work, equipment, operations and maintenance.
- Experience implementing infrastructure sharing models (fiberco, co-build, submarine consortiums, and / or towercos) especially in emerging markets.
- Knowledge of wireless networks basics legacy 2G/3G and contemporary 4G/5G wireless networks: technology and industry developments, spectrum policy, key contributors to OpEx and CapEx and current industry challenges.
- Understanding of wholesale bandwidth products (IP transit, Ethernet, Dark Fiber) and pricing structure & levels.
- Familiar with wholesale infrastructure economics, operating models and scale factors.
- Understands network operator requirements and identifies alternate approaches to plan networks using multiple data sources coupled with analytics.
- Familiarity with internet user data usage patterns, high bandwidth applications.
- Knowledge of quantitative analytics.
- BA/BS or higher in an Engineering field or equivalent degree/experience.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time. International travel is required.
- Foreign language skills
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top