Infra Connectivity Program Manager, Backhaul & Rural Connectivity
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Attempting to connect the world requires an alternative approach to building and deploying telecom network infrastructure. Through organizations like the Telecom Infra Project (www.telecominfraproject.com (http://www.telecominfraproject.com/)) and through direct engagement with individual operators around the world, the Connectivity Ecosystem Programs team collaborates globally with the telecoms industry to identify and execute a range of connectivity programs. If you have passion for working with operators, ISPs and other industry stakeholders to drive innovative, cutting edge, cost efficient infrastructure projects that will deliver internet access to the unconnected while significantly scaling current networks – then this is a great role for you. As an Infra Connectivity Program Manager focused on Backhaul and Rural Connectivity infrastructure initiatives, you will work closely with a broad Facebook cross-functional team to engage partners and technology vendors to devise and deploy infrastructure in hard to reach places to drive down cost and increase connectivity. In parallel, you will interface with mobile operators, ISPs and rural site access providers to help Facebook positively impact the diverse telecoms ecosystem. This position is full time and is based in Menlo Park, California.
- Technically-oriented individual with a well-rounded telecoms business background dedicated to driving backhaul infrastructure and access deployments especially for rural connectivity in emerging markets.
- Define creative approaches for telecom network deployment in rural areas with limited / no coverage as well as in under-covered areas to help deliver broadband services targeted at the lower ARPU range.
- Work with a range of backhaul providers (satellite, fiber, microwave) and site access infrastructure vendors to design and deploy optimal solutions for rural connectivity.
- Identify and address through innovative solutions, bottlenecks such as infrastructure, applications, services and business models to improve connectivity in hard to reach places.
- Assemble presentation materials and other written documentation in support of cross-functional communications with Facebook as well as with our external partners.
- Work with cross-functional teams (Finance, Legal, Business Development, Regulatory and Policy) to develop project requirements, gain broad support and attain project approval.
- Stay abreast of developments in the telecom infrastructure space, especially for rural backhaul and share that knowledge with the wider Facebook team.
- Support the direction and expansion of the team, helping to scope future roles as the charter of the team grows.
- Previous telecom experience (7+ years) in telecom infrastructure deployment or in network development, including 3+ years addressing rural connectivity (backhaul and access).
- Familiar with the basics of infrastructure planning and deployment for underserved and under-covered areas with challenging economics: rural site build and cost, power, backhaul and devices availability.
- Real-world experience and understanding of challenges in implementing infrastructure in rural markets.
- Knowledge of wireless networks basics legacy 2G/3G and contemporary 4G/5G wireless networks: technology and industry developments, spectrum policy, key contributors to OpEx and CapEx and current industry challenges.
- Familiar with backhaul technologies and trade-off (cost and coverage) between satellite, fiber and microwave
- Understanding of rural infrastructure economics, operating models and profitability.
- Quantitative and economics analysis experience
- Experience with program managements tools and methodologies.
- Experience working in emerging markets (SSA, APAC, LATAM).
- Understanding of regulatory and policy considerations for rural connectivity.
- BA/BS or higher in an Engineering field, economics or equivalent degree/experience.
- Communication skills including experience speaking to both technical and business audiences. Experience interacting with the full spectrum of partner resources from field to C-suite.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time, including international travel.
- Foreign language skills
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top