Imaging Architecture Lead, Building 8
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook’s mission of connecting the world. The B8 team will apply DARPA-style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It will operate on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. The Product Launch Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. Building 8 seeks an Imaging Architecture Lead who has experience in all aspects of architecture and realization of imaging subsystems in consumer electronics. We are looking for a slightly impatient individual willing to face down their fear of failure to accomplish bold things. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Act as the Imaging system SME for Building 8
- Engage with technology project leads, and various component SMEs in creating the overall imaging subsystem architecture and platform as the starting point for product execution.
- Work in the theoretical space with an eye on the real world implementation experience
- Create proof of concepts around the latest imaging and CV/ML technologies
- Heavy involvement in the initial product realization and bring-up.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field (physics/optics)
- Hands on imaging systems engineering and architecture experience over the product life cycle from product definition to NPI and ramp
- Experience with consumer electronics products, mobile platforms in relation to video/imaging and CV technologies
- Demonstrated experience creating imaging subsystems platforms
- Experience in rapid prototyping
- Experience working with hardware, algorithm, and image module suppliers
- Understanding of overall systems interactions in the image pipeline (sensor, ISP, CV, encode).
- Ability to model capture to system BW, compute, and latency throughout the imaging pipeline in order to determine the system requirements and partitioning to meet the overall product imaging goals
- Understanding of system performance requirements (memory BW, compute, …) to support real-time CV algorithms while capturing, encoding, and transmitting high resolution video
- Working knowledge across the following areas with experience in at least one:
- Standard imaging interfaces and protocols in the typical consumer platform (CSI, sub-LVDS, I2C/CCI, D-PHY, C-PHY …)
- Optics and lens design and associated algorithms for de-warping etc.
- Sensors/modules: Knowledgeable of the industry leaders in sensor and camera module integration.
- ISP fundamentals (LTM, LSC, BLC, 3DNR, AAA, BPC, De-mosaic, color space conversions, …)
- IQ fundamentals and their system drivers
- CV/ML (object detection, identification/recognition, tracking, …)
- Experience with latest generation mobile and consumer electronics chipset architectures.
- Android camera HAL knowledge.
- Experience on companies across industries
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top