Head of User Research, Oculus
(Menlo Park, CA)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Oculus is looking for world-class researcher to the newly created Insights & Growth team at Oculus, a centralized team of Analytics, User Research, and Growth. This team's charter is to help drive a data-first culture and a deep understanding of users to impact the strategy and direction of Oculus. As Head of User Research at Oculus, you must be familiar with every aspect of the product development lifecycle for hardware and software including up-front research and discovery, definition, and analysis of requirements. What makes a good candidate? Someone who has exceptional research skills, but who also understands the tradeoffs between rigor and being scrappy, and ultimately how research translates into design and product decisions. You will oversee and continue to build a team of world-class researchers across all of our products, and across multiple research disciplines.The role requires you to be an expert researcher with a proven track record of doing research that impacts a complex and diverse set of products and building and managing high-performing teams, preferably with researchers of varying specializations (i.e. design research, human factors, UX research, etc.). You will be required to articulate the vision of the team to design, engineering and product leadership and be a strong advocate for the role of research in product development. You must become a trusted, strategic partner to product stakeholders by communicating and demonstrating the value of user research, and by delivering insights that lead to demonstrable business value. You must be a qualitative and quantitative data expert, but also know when to trust your gut. The Head of User Research is a full-time position in Menlo Park reporting into the Oculus Insights organization. However, you will also have direct reports in Seattle and London and must be able to build strong relationships with reports and teams in other locations.
- Build meaningful cross-functional relationships.
- Resource Allocation: ensure we are always focusing on the highest priority things, focusing both on the short term needs as well as looking ahead to the next big challenge.
- Recruiting talent: including attracting external talent and building teams.
- Manage team to ensure high impact research output and support employees
- Serve as a thought partner with executive and cross-functional leadership teams.
- Discovering, synthesizing, and socializing actionable insights that have influenced real product decisions.
- Key member of the design and product leadership team. You will lead, inspire and develop a team of in-house experienced researchers.
- A highly collaborative and insightful leader. You strive to help your team partner cross-functionally to build the very best product/user experiences and help remove roadblocks where necessary.
- Serve as a thought partner and an effective strategist and collaborator with executive and cross-functional leadership teams.
- An evangelist of research practices and user-centered design throughout the company.
- An influencer and hold high social capital in the UXR community.
- M.A / M.S or PH.D in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Sociology or a related field
- 10+ years of professional research experience in both hardware and software and in all areas of research (including design research, market research and quantitative research).
- 5+ years of research team management experience
- Career emphasis on devices (i.e. hardware and software products)
- Experience prioritizing in-house research efforts and understanding when and how to leverage 3rd-party vendors.
- Track record of discovering, synthesizing, and socializing actionable insights that have influenced real product decisions.
- Research experience across different methods, with both qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Background implementing a variety of research methods (e.g. rapid ethnography, contextual inquiry, focus groups, surveys, concept testing, usability validation, experimentation, etc.).
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top