Head of UI/UX, Building 8
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The B8 team will apply DARPA- style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It will operate on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. The Product Launch Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. Building 8 seeks a Head of UI/UX to guide the team and develop best practices amongst the organization. We are looking for a slightly impatient individual willing to face down their fear of failure to accomplish bold things. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Manage multiple projects and allocate design resources accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for success by setting clear and measurable goals.
- Guide the team to develop best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, engineering, user research and communication design to ensure a smooth product development process and consistent visual language.
- Recruit new designers and actively participate in the hiring process.
- Actively contribute as a designer when needed.
- Execute in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment.
- Collaborate with teams in other Facebook offices.
- Collaborate and manage vendor relationships and project load.
- Minimum 5 years industry experience in a management or leadership role leading teams in hardware and software design.
- 10+ years of design experience shipping hardware and software products.
- Design portfolio with examples of interactions and visuals across web applications (not just static websites).
- Experience in high-level product strategy all the way to production.
- Communication skills and attention to detail.
- Visual and interaction skills in hardware and software design.
- Organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to execute with hands-on design.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top