Head of Public Policy, Southern Africa Region
Facebook was built to help people connect and share, and over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over a billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a role at Facebook offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organisation.
We are looking for a public policy expert who can combine a passion for technology's potential to create opportunity and to make Africa more open and connected, with deep knowledge of the political and regulatory dynamics across the Southern Africa region. The Head of Public Policy for Southern Africa, will form part of Facebook's Africa Public Policy team that is dealing with some of the most interesting ICT related public policy challenges of our times, including privacy, safety and security, maintaining freedom of expression, the impact of the Internet on economic growth, cybersecurity, taxation, and new opportunities for democratic engagement.
HEAD OF PUBLIC POLICY, SOUTHERN AFRICA REGION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor countries across the Southern Africa region for policy issues at the intersection of technology, human rights, social media, and emerging market entry/growth
- Develop excellent strategies that outline plans to mitigate policy risks and to ensure facebook apps are used to co-create opportunities for socio-economic development in Southern Africa
- Be the primary internal and external point of contact for internet governance issues
- Inform and support Facebook's connectivity agenda across the Southern Africa region
- Work with Facebook's Politics & Government team to promote the use of Facebook as a platform for citizen and voter engagement to policymakers and NGOs and other political influencers
- Work with Facebook's Safety and Policy Programs teams and external policy and civil society partners to create and implement country and regional policy programs
- Represent Facebook in meetings with politicians and policymakers
- Build coalitions to help advance and support key policy issues
- Communicate Facebook's positions on key policy issues in public presentations to a wide range of audiences
- Identify and advise Facebook on emerging public policy issues
- Support the Africa Public Policy team on any other priority policy issues and programs
- A degree or an advanced degree in a related field
- Significant demonstrated experience in legislation and/or government relations and advocacy
- Keen understanding of political systems and relevant policy and civil society institutions across sub-Saharan Africa - with a particular focus on South Africa and the wider Southern Africa region
- Significant experience living and working in at least one Southern Africa country required
- Excellent judgment, excellent communication and persuasive skills, creativity, perspective, the ability to work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment
- Experience in policy engagement, and or development, for a multinational corporation or civil society institution
- Passion for connecting the unconnected, and extensive experience with relevant policy issues, including internet governance, data privacy, human rights/free expression, taxation, net neutrality, child online safety, etc
- Superb written and oral communications skills (writing samples required)
- Fluency in both written and conversational English
- Interest and ability to travel frequently (at least 50%) in Southern Africa, the USA, and Europe
- Fluency in at least one other relevant language (specifically-Zulu, Xhosa, Shona, etc.)
- Fluency in technology and a passion for Facebook's mission.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Back to top