Head of Hardware, Facebook Reality Labs Interactions Research & Development
- Woodinville, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for future virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. As Head of Hardware AR/VR Interactions Research at Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), you will contribute to the architecture and design of end-to-end Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality (VR/AR) Interactions concept prototypes. You will direct a dynamic cross-functional team including electrical, mechanical, firmware and software engineers. This role will be a key participant in Proof of Concepts (POC) or Proof of Experience (POE) system architecture decisions, be responsible for providing hardware engineering guidance and direction to engineering development teams, guide and enable ME, EE, and SW interaction collaboration, provide HW architecture support to various research or incubation programs. Role is expected to provide formal management to various hardware teams operating in the FRL Interaction Research space. More broadly, the chosen candidate will work with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers and will have access to cutting edge technology, resources, and testing facilities.
- Direct hardware systems engineering teams in defining, designing, and developing hardware platforms for AR/VR research programs
- Develop strategic relationships with product peers and engineering, research, business, design, and user research teams to help define research requirements and architecture
- Direct architecture and design overall hardware engineering solutions for end-to-end future VR/AR devices and experiences
- Co-lead complex teams and projects towards planning, engineering and standing-up VR/AR POCs or POEs
- Coordinate design integration and POC/POE realization with Experiences, Design, ME, EE, FW, SW, Automation, Test and Calibration teams
- 10+ years of industry experience in hardware design or electrical engineering roles
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering
- Demonstrated leadership experience in developing hardware and software technologies into research or consumer products
- Experience thinking strategically and executing methodically in an entrepreneurial environment
- Collaboration and relationship-building experience, working with all levels of management and individual contributors internally and externally
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
Back to top