Head of Global Trade Compliance Operations
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook’s Compliance, Security and Investigations seeks a Head of Global Trade Compliance Operations to focus on international trade compliance matters, including those involving export and import compliance. As the Head of Global Trade Compliance Operations, you’ll help design, deploy and administer trade compliance policies and processes and work to ensure the export and import segments of Facebook’s trade compliance program are operating effectively. You’ll manage a team of trade compliance professionals specializing in export and import compliance operations. You’ll also coordinate closely with Facebook’s trade compliance counsel in support of support Facebook’s trade compliance objectives.
- Manage interfaces with all relevant internal business stakeholders in partnership with the Trade Legal Team, as well as customs brokers, freight forwarders, internal/external legal counsel, corporate security, global logistics, and customs agencies.
- Drive efficiencies in operations and strengthen compliance through automation projects such as the central classification database and Trade Automation Software.
- Manage export and import compliance programs related to the classification and export and import of goods, software and technology.
- Manage export, import, and other related trade compliance activities related to domestic and international shipments to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, including those administered by BIS, OFAC, ITAR, Census, FDA, CBP, FCC, and corresponding agencies and regulations outside of the United States.
- Lead classification reviews, relevant Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) and ECCN determinations, encryption reviews, CCAT submissions, export license applications, and corresponding activities to support US, EU and other export controls.
- Conduct trade compliance trainings that highlight key legal requirements and Facebook’s trade compliance policies and protocols.
- Develop protocols to ensure compliance with Facebook’s trade policies and applicable export and import controls in partnership with business units, Legal and others.
- Coordinate with business teams, freight forwarders, customs brokers, and other stakeholders to prepare international documentation for shipments.
- Maintain required import and export documentation according to US and local law and corporate policy.
- Keep apprised of relevant legal developments through partnerships with the Trade Legal Team, monitor the impact of changes in trade laws and regulations for operational impact and provide guidance to business units.
- Participate in investigations, audits and compliance reviews in coordination and collaboration with the Trade Legal Team.
- Manage a team of trade compliance professionals.
- Develop metrics to measure and report the accomplishments and the value that the department returns to internal stakeholders and define and review performance metrics on a regular basis for the team, identifying opportunities for improvement and implementing those actions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field such as International Trade, Business Administration, Law, or equivalent level of experience.
- Minimum 8 + years of overall experience on international trade matters
- 4+ years of direct management experience.
- 4+ years of experience leading the development, deployment and administration of trade compliance processes for a global company.
- Experience with relevant law and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations, Federal Trade Regulations, U.S Import controls and U.S. trade sanctions.
- Interpersonal, influencing and teamwork skills required. Must be able to communicate with engineers and well as all levels of management within a global environment.
- Technical skills, classification of goods, technology and software for export and/or import.
- Experience with export and import classification.
- Experience with non-U.S. export and import controls.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top