Head of Data Science, Instagram Experience
The Instagram Sharing Experiences Team is focused on the core part of the Instagram mission, helping people grow closer to the people they care about by sharing who they really are, and being the best place to go to feel connected, inspired and happy. The team is responsible for product development across the full loop of production and engagement experiences on Instagram, with a "Creation" team based in SF (focused on the camera, format and effect, and the overall broadcasting experience) and a "Home" team based in NY (focused on the user experiences across Feed and Stories, ranking, and interactions).
We're looking for Instagram's Data Science Director for the Sharing Experiences organization, to drive informed product decisions on our core user experience. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into real products. The perfect candidate will have experience building and managing world-class analytics teams, will have worked with large and complex data, and will have a track record of driving data-informed decisions. You are scrappy, focused on results, and a self-starter. This position will be based in New York City.
The Data Science Director is responsible for managing the data science team to ensure proper goal-setting, testing, and forecasting and to develop insights that identify the biggest opportunities for the Instagram community and drive the product strategy. They are responsible for hiring and retaining talent, and leadership development to ensure the organization has capacity to scale. In addition, this leader will serve on the Instagram leadership team and will help drive the organization forward.
HEAD OF DATA SCIENCE, INSTAGRAM EXPERIENCE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing goal metrics and evaluate product team performance
- Dash-boarding and reporting on key metrics
- Investigating Ad hoc issues and debugging regressions
- Reporting to FB Inc. stakeholders and coordination across family
- Develop testing plans and validate statistically accurate results
- Analyze data trends to identify opportunities and drive product strategy
- Size opportunities to ensure product teams are prioritizing the most impactful work
- Ensure product strategy has actionable measurement plans by developing goal metrics and evaluating product team performance
- Determine ways to use data as a strategic asset in product development
- This role has less direct technical involvement, but needs to manage a team with a high-degree of technical competency
- Ensure our data and analysis are reliable and rigorous across all of our products
- Partner with Data Engineering to ensure the right metrics are created and validate accuracy
- Oversee the building/maintaining of reports, dashboards, and metrics to monitor the performance of our products
- Ensure we have the appropriate logging, tables and dashboards to measure product success
- Develop new metrics with accuracy and stability
- Validate metric accuracy for internal and external reporting
- 10+ years of experience in managing other team members in a formal or informal capacity
- 10+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis
- 5+ years of experience in an analytical role in a technology company, consulting, investment banking, or product management
- 5+ years of experience with SQL or other programming languages
- Experience initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Experience communicating the results of analysis
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, or related quantitative field
- Understanding of statistical analysis, experience with packages, such as R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Experience with large data sets and distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop)
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
Back to top