Head of Data Science, Instagram Discovery
The Discovery Team is responsible for product development across the full loop of discovery experiences on Instagram, including Explore, Search, Hashtags, and Integrity for these surfaces. The Discovery team's mission is to entertain, inspire, and build community through the power of shared interests across hundreds of millions of people every day.
We're looking for Instagram's Head of Data Science role for the Discovery organization, to work on our core products to help drive informed product decisions. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into real products on a regular basis. The perfect candidate will have experience building and managing analytics teams, will have worked with large data stores, and will have experience building software. You are scrappy, focused on results, a self-starter, and have demonstrated success in using analytics to drive the understanding, progression, and user engagement of a product. This position is based in New York City.
The Head of Data Science is responsible for building a world-class data organization to support the Instagram Discovery team. This role is directly responsible for managing the data science team to ensure proper goaling, testing, and forecasting and to develop insights that identify the biggest opportunities for the IG community and drive product strategy.
The Head of Data Science for Discovery is responsible for managing the data science team and supporting the broader data org within Discovery and IG. This role is responsible for hiring, retaining talent to support the IG Discovery organization. This leader will both manage at least one manager (likely more in the future) and individual contributor data scientists. In addition, this leader is expected to serve as both a broader organizational and product leader within the Instagram Discovery group, cutting beyond functional lines to make sure the entire org is healthy and has capacity to scale.
HEAD OF DATA SCIENCE, INSTAGRAM DISCOVERY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing Goal Metrics and Evaluate Product Team Performance
- Investigating Ad Hoc Issues and Debugging Regressions
- Develop Testing Plans and Validate Statistically Accurate Results
- Reporting to Instagram and FB Inc Stakeholders and Coordination Across the Company
- Analyze Data Trends to Identify Opportunities and Drive Product Strategy
- Size opportunities to ensure product teams are prioritizing the most impactful work
- Ensure product strategy has actionable measurement plans by developing goal metrics and evaluating product team performance
- Determine ways to use data as a strategic asset in product development
- This role has less direct technical involvement, but needs to manage a team with a high-degree of technical competency:
- Ensure our data and analysis are reliable and rigorous across all of our products
- Partner with Data Engineering to ensure the right metrics are created and validate accuracy
- Oversee the building/maintaining of reports, dashboards, and metrics to monitor the performance of our products
- Ensure we have the appropriate logging, tables and dashboards to measure product success
- Develop new metrics with accuracy and stability
- Validate metric accuracy for internal and external reporting
- 5+ years of experience in managing other team members in a formal or informal capacity
- 7+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis including experience with SQL or other programming languages
- Experience initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Experience communicating the results of analysis to an executive audience
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, or related quantitative field
- Understanding of statistical analysis, experience with packages, such as R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Experience with large data sets and distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop)
- Quantitative analysis experience at a technology company, consulting, investment banking, or product management
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Back to top