Hardware Systems Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for a smart and experienced Systems Engineer for the Server Hardware Engineering team. The ideal candidate will have experience with large-scale x86 server farms, will be very familiar with the Linux operating system internals, and will be data-driven and focused on the impact they can create as part of a world-class engineering team. The Server Hardware Engineering team designs and tests the compute and storage servers that power the Facebook social network, deployed in hyper-efficient data centers worldwide. These designs are the first open-source servers in the industry, and our current designs are published through the OpenCompute foundation at http://www.opencompute.org/. This is a rare opportunity to join our team and help us build the worldâ€™s most open and efficient server platform.
- Work as part of the compute server team to design, develop, and test the Facebook compute server platform.
- Collaborate with software and capacity management teams to develop the exact specifications of our compute server, including in-depth performance analysis of various Facebook software environments on upcoming hardware designs.
- Work with site operations team to understand installation, operation and maintenance considerations within our data centers and incorporate feedback into the design.
- Bring up the Linux operating system on new hardware designs, including provisioning systems, stability and power analysis, and driving defects to resolution with our manufacturing partners and internal teams.
- Work closely with subject matter experts to bring disparate technologies together to produce the most efficient and powerful compute platform possible.
- Change the landscape of datacenter computing through the development of the worldâ€™s first open source server hardware platform.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux, x86 server hardware, networking and IO stacks, and large-scale Infrastructure automation.
- Experience coding in at least one language (even if it is not one that Facebook uses).
- Knowledge with server hardware design and troubleshooting.
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs quickly.
- Proven troubleshooting skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Detail oriented and careful, balanced with rapid execution in a fast-paced environment.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top