Hardware Engineering Manager
(Woodland Hills, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
The Facebook SoCal Connectivity Team is looking for an established and skillful engineering manager to lead a team of innovative engineers and researchers who are developing breakthrough technologies at a rapid pace. The successful candidate will have the ability to support the engineering team through all aspects of the product lifecycle, including early concept phases and into deployment and production. A strong background in RF Wireless and/or Optical Communication Systems is highly valuable for this role. This position is located in our Woodland Hills office.
- Lead internal and external engineering teams to develop requirements, specifications, simulation and emulation platforms, and reduction to practice of novel RF/microwave and/or optical communications systems.
- Provide leadership to the team through highly effective people management:
- Help engineers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term talent development, personalities, and work styles
- Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote excellent performance
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and on-boarding new employees
- Communicate and partner in a highly collaborative fashion with cross-functional teams, with emphasis on ensuring the success of the overall team
- Provide strong technical management, by leveraging deep experience in complex systems that combine hardware, firmware, and software elements:
- Drive engineering efforts and help lead multiple projects simultaneously
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Help define and drive regular development of an aggressive technical roadmap to meet the needs of the internal team and partner teams
- Work closely with hardware industry vendors and partners to identify, develop, test, and deploy the right technology.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with a minimum of 10 years of experience
- Knowledge of RF, Microwave and/or Optical Communications Systems design
- Technical background with experience in one or more of the relevant industries to support Facebook's connectivity mission, such as wireless communication, telecommunications, optical systems, or SatCom
- Proven track record of building and developing engineering teams in a fast-moving, agile environment, working on technology projects simultaneously.
- Proven ability to make trade-offs and drive decisions in the face of varying technical inputs and options
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management and managing engineers with experience
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top