HAPS Systems Engineer, Lead
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
More than half the population of the world are not yet connected to the Internet. The Connectivity Lab is doing research to develop the next generation technologies to connect everyone on the planet to the Internet. You will partner with internal and external resources to analyze data, develop financial models, survey market ecosystems, then develop and execute business and go-to-market plans for impact driven delivery of the programs. Additionally, you will support the development of the entire HAPS ecosystem architecture and will spearhead the creation of the system requirements, integration and testing. The successful candidate will be adept at evaluating complex programs and markets from a global level to a local scale across broad ecosystems from terrestrial to aerospace communication system technologies.
- Define and drive development of HAPS connectivity system(s) architecture and requirements
- Lead a highly cross-functional team to develop and test, with industry partners, a HAPS connectivity system (aerial platform and communications gateway, payload, and access equipment) to ensure it will achieve the system architecture, requirements, and concept of operations as defined
- Develop models of system performance and cost and engage in performance/cost trade-offs to maximize industry adoption
- Define, develop, and manage a connectivity system engineering team
- Support definition, implementation, and execution of the program vision, strategy, and tactics
- Knowledge and design and manufacturing experience in one or more of the following areas: cellular or satellite communication systems, satellite, UAV, or other airborne platforms, satellite payload and ground equipment
- System design through deployment experience in telecommunications and/or aerospace.
- Experience in market and cost analysis and a record of cross-functional collaboration.
- Experienced technical leader and people manager with a demonstrated ability to stand up a highly technical engineering organization within the communications and/or aerospace domain(s)
- MS or PhD in an engineering/science discipline with a minimum 7 years experience.
- Knowledge of Python, C/C++, or other computer programming language and *nix operating system experience
- Commercial industry experience and a demonstrated track-record of working with industry partners
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top