Group Technical Program Manager, Messenger
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook Messenger is one of the most popular products in the world for people to connect and interact. It is used by over 1 billion people monthly for: text/photo/video messages, audio/video calls, game play, connecting with businesses, interacting with a thriving ecosystem of third party digital bots, hosting and participating in rooms and groups, and much more. With machine learning, Messenger can become the place for the most delightful/useful/intelligent bots to fulfill every need, teleport people's video interactions to magical virtual places, enhance how people interact in conversations, improve Messenger diagnostics, and much more. We are developing technology to help connect people to what matters most by recognizing and fulfilling their intent in a natural way. This means we are investing heavily in NLP, NLU, Speech, Dialog, Knowledge Graph, Search, Ranking, and other ML and Deep Learning problems. For this particular role, we are looking for a TPM leader to join the team. Your core responsibility would be to support growth and development of Technical Program Managers, and as peer to Engineering and Product Managers, contribute to planning and strategy, execution, evangelism, negotiating cross-team dependencies, and representing the voice of the customer.
- Manage software and hardware engineering programs in a matrix organization.
- Help define the long-term vision & develop strategic roadmaps.
- Partner with key product groups, engineering and infrastructure teams, production engineers, scientists & analysts.
- Forge partnerships to collaboratively solve hardware/software problems.
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of your team.
- Bring a strong sense of execution and ownership to the team.
- Responsible for hiring, mentoring and developing the best TPM talent.
- Responsible for people management of a team, providing performance reviews, continual feedback, coaching and career growth for direct reports.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- At least ten years of software engineering, systems engineering or similar experience with 3+ years of people management experience.
- 4+ years of experience working on services applying machine learning or related approaches.
- Communication and interpersonal experience, including relationship building and collaboration within a cross-functional team.
- Organizational and coordination experience along with multi-tasking experience.
- Analytical and problem-solving experience, large-scale systems experience and experience writing code.
- Experience managing team members in remote locations.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree with focus in Machine Learning, Data Mining, or Statistics
- Experience building or program managing distributed multi-tier consumer or mobile applications
- Web or Internet start-up environment and technical infrastructure management experience
Back to top