Group Technical Program Manager, Data Center Networking
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Head of Technical Program Management for Data Centers will be responsible for delivering highly scalable and reliable data centers for Facebook Infrastructure. She/He will partner tightly with the Capacity Engineering, Network Engineering, Data Center Design, Data Center Construction, Backbone Engineering, Security, Facility Operations, Finance, Network Services, Supply Chain, Hardware Engineering, Logistics, etc. to drive critical programs across performance, reliability, efficiency, security, and capacity in these areas. The individual will be closely involved in overseeing teams in the development of scalable data center solutions that will enable network, compute and storage data to meet the end users' needs. A deep understanding of network design, engineering, deployments, and building construction is required.
The Head of TPM for Data Infrastructure Services will have demonstrated experience building, grooming, and mentoring technical program management or engineering teams of 10 or more, and a proven track record of scaling infrastructure in a highly transformative environment. Specifically, she/he will be an innovative, intellectually curious problem solver with deep technical expertise across networking, electrical systems, mechanical systems, and construction. This person does not need to have the "correct" answer to everything but, rather, should be able to quickly drive the conversation toward a productive programmatic solution by including the right stakeholders, weighing pros/cons, business needs, and timelines for masterful execution and delivery.
This position will be based at Facebook Headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Manage portions of Facebook's 24x7, always-available infrastructure to meet the high traffic needs, and strive to eliminate downtime and improve the manageability of services.
- Build and lead a world-class team of TPM's capable of scaling with Facebook through a period of continued high-growth, forging tight partnerships with managers and engineers across infrastructure.
- Demonstrate an ability to structure an organization and optimize it for execution, including attracting top tier talent and building out gaps in the existing team quickly to accommodate growth.
- Able to lead from the front, prioritize, and drive the bigger mission forward by translating vision into results.
- Manage and mentor the existing technical program management teams.
- Able to manage individuals as well as performance manage those who need more help.
- Measure and improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes that are working well and build the next level of improvements.
- Set standards for deployments at scale, infrastructure reliability, security, and scalability.
- Team with all technical functions across the company to ensure all organizations are in sync.
- Continue to improve the thriving engineering culture across all tech functions.
- Build and lead an organization with customer focus, world class quality, effective communication, decisive, fast moving solutions, quick and constructive resolutions to conflicts, and a "no barriers" mentality.
- Serve as an evangelist for the team and overall culture, both internally and externally.
- View of where the market is heading from a technical program management perspective and able to influence the overall direction.
- Hands-on leadership experience in network engineering company.
- Experience communicating the framework behind network architectures, including how and why they were run, and the systems put in place to run them.
- Knowledge of technical program management methodologies: for example, waterfall, scrum, agile, and PMO, and experience distinguishing why and when each is needed.
- Experience moving technical or engineering programs from concept to completion, and the experience in articulating the impact using metrics, growth examples, return, etc.
- Advisory experience to executive-level leaders.
- Experience with network engineering at scale, leveraging routing, switching, inside plant and outside plant fiber construction knowledge.
- Experience implementing instrumentation and monitoring solutions.
- Experience understanding user and application demand and translating that to a deliverable plan.
- Experience with high availability power and cooling data center solutions.
- An undergraduate degree in computer science, electrical engineering, network engineering, telecommunications, or technical field.
- Experience in training in program management through courses.
- 10+ years of program management experience
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top