Global Data Center Environmental Health and Safety Manager
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook designs, builds, leases and operates the most innovative and efficient data centers in the world. Developing, operating and managing the data center infrastructure and facilities the "right" way is synonymous with ensuring high uptime, capacity availability, flexibility and capital and operational cost efficiency in a safe working environment. Facebook is seeking an experienced, organized and outgoing individual to manage the Infrastructure Data Center Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) team. The IDC EHS Manager will be responsible for oversight of the EHS global program for our Data Centers located in the U.S. and Europe, and for managing our program-level EHS staff. Comprehensive EHS technical expertise as well as excellent communication and program management skills are required for this position. This role requires extensive experience in OSHA requirements, life safety, incident reporting, environmental spill response, and Data Center-related Risk Assessments from an operations standpoint. Familiarity with European regulations is also preferred. This role is expected to manage and grow the global EHS team accordingly as our international Data Center portfolio expands. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park headquarters. Some travel is needed to visit our global Data Centers.
- Build and lead the global IDC EHS program to sustain excellence in our growing world class workforce.
- Manage team of two existing and multiple future EHS program-level staff to address global-wide topics, and support EHS Coordinators located at the Data Center sites.
- Oversee and execute global EHS standardization opportunities. Strategize where global standardization is possible and where Best Management Practices should be applied.
- Hands-on managing of day-to-day EHS activities, including leading meetings, ensuring responsiveness to requests and action items, overseeing budget and schedule, and detailed review of procedures and training materials
- Empower team to fulfill their leadership roles as EHS experts and safety professionals.
- Work with our existing program-level staff and the Site EHS Coordinators to continue development of an IDC EHS Global Training Plan and Data Center-specific procedures.
- Assess and evaluate EHS related processes and day-to-day activities at the sites to ensure promotion and adoption of best practices and compliance with protocols and standards.
- Review incident reporting to ensure appropriate root-cause analysis has been conducted and corrective actions have been implemented.
- Develop and track IDC EHS global program goals, and represent IDC EHS to senior leadership.
- Eventually hire additional EHS staff and plan team organization to provide for growth.
- Provide EHS expertise to diverse internal teams, including our Site EHS Coordinators, logistics and engineering teams.
- Conduct and review risk assessments using industry-best safety engineering and other risk management principles.
- Conduct risk assessment for new technologies (i.e., hardware and equipment).
- 15+ years of EHS experience. This experience includes familiarity with OSHA compliance and training, risk assessment (including job hazard analyses), PPE requirements and incident management (incident response training, reporting, root cause analysis)
- 2+ years experience managing teams of at least 3 people
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and coordinate with internal staff and external consultants, vendors and other stakeholders
- Analytical thinking and communication skills
- Self-motivator and able to execute and track tasks
- Ability to work effectively in teams, and establish and maintain cross-functional and positive working relationships
- Ability to effectively communicate with and influence senior leadership and work with highly confidential information
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed (25% at times)
- 2+ years of experience specific to data centers
- Experience with ISO14001 standards and European health and safety requirements
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top