Geographical Construction Manager
- Fremont, CA
Our data centers are the foundation upon which our software operates with efficient ease. Building and operating data centers the "right" way from the day we break ground and go live is synonymous with ensuring capacity availability and capital conservatism. Designing, constructing, operating and continually, innovating the infrastructure within our data centers are fundamental to providing high availability, the capacity to meet our extreme growth demands and obtaining the most robust and cost-effective online service in the world!
Facebook is seeking a seasoned construction professional to join our Data Center construction team as a Geographical Construction Manager (Geo Manager) responsible for overseeing and guiding the development of several US based data center campus projects. The Geo Manager will have regional responsibility to formulate and maintain the business relationship and execution strategy across several general contractors, designers and suppliers involved with large scale, multi-phased data center projects. By partnering with our general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals and vendors, the Geo Manager will drive a culture of collaboration, safety and quality unparalleled in the data center construction industry. The Geo Manager will also be responsible to manage and develop the careers of internal staff located at the projects. The position will be based in Fremont, CA, although significant travel of up to 50% and onsite presence at the project site(s) is required.
- With a broad organizational focus, set the strategic vision for the site teams and interface with a wide variety of internal and external teams to achieve cross-program goals.
- Own and cultivate a productive and mutually beneficial owner/vendor relationship with the GC.
- Set and maintain clear expectations for the GC partnership and how we will work together.
- Recruit, hire (as needed) and mentor a core team of 5-6 full time staff per campus, supporting up to three campuses. Contingent workforce staff planning and hiring is also a responsibility of this role.
- As a manager/leader, provide proactive feedback and performance management to ensure a high functioning team.
- Manage and develop several lead construction managers (owner's onsite representatives) on multi-phased data center campuses.
- Assume GC portfolio accountability for: Safety, Quality, Schedule Milestones, Forecast Accuracy, Pre-construction GMP accuracy.
- Partner broadly with vendors and partners critical to the program's success to influence their strategy and execution in supporting ICMs mission. Provide structured feedback on their performance and partner to improve and optimize as needed.
- Negotiate construction contracts and change orders directly with the contractors and vendors.
- Provide accurate portfolio level status reporting to the organization.
- Build trusted business relationships with all cross-functional teams to ensure positive and collaborative working relationships.
- Role model/foster and encourage a high-performing, safety-focused culture across all teams, internal/external, involved in the program.
- Build robust communication channels and cultivate relationships to influence the strategy of partner organizations.
- Maintain consistent visibility across multiple teams and provide input on important initiatives that help the larger organization evolve to achieve its vision statement.
- Coordinate multiple stakeholder requirements involved in the early turn-over of phases within the program schedule.
- Capture and transfer of knowledge capital across the portfolio and program.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveying or equivalent technical degree and/or 18+ years of experience in project planning and construction management.
- Experience with the design and deployment of technical electrical and mechanical systems.
- Experience with a variety of construction contract delivery methods commonly used in the United States.
- Experience managing contractors, subcontractor and vendor relationships as well as experience working with standard practices in the design and construction industry.
- Experience with greenfield site development, ground-up and retrofit construction projects.
- Experience working with local, state, domestic and international construction build codes and health & safety requirements.
- Experience in Primavera P6, MS Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top