General Lab Manager
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Oculus Research is seeking a dynamic leader to join us as General Lab Manager in Redmond, WA. Your job will be to support a world-class, multi-disciplinary team of researchers. You will marshal our efforts to gain a scientific understanding of human perception, haptics, audio, input, computer vision, graphics, optics, display technology, and whatever else we dream up to create the ultimate VR experience. You will ensure this understanding is widely disseminated through public and internal presentations, top-tier scientific publications, whitepapers, and patents. This understanding will be further proven out by creating prototypes of next-generation VR hardware and experiences, leveraging the wide-ranging engineering talent within Oculus Research, a process that will be directly driven by the research team.
- Responsible for the operability of all lab environments:
- Lead and/or participate in cross-functional teams to resolve complex lab issues.
- Maintain knowledge of legal and ethical management issues and practices.
- Work directly with Research supervisors/group leaders to ensure compliance with all regulatory and safety standards.
- Establishes direction and oversees the Environmental, Health and Safety programs in the various laboratories:
- Works to foster ownership and accountability for the EHS program at all levels
- Ensuring EHS training is developed and instituted in areas such as laboratory safety, chemical hygiene/hazard communication, new hire orientation, use of safety equipment (e.g. – PPE, fire extinguishers, etc.), laser safety, spill response, hazmat processes and disposal.
- Ensuring all aspects of chemical management, inventory and waste disposal are in place and running smoothly.
- Ensuring that laser safety requirements are being adhered to.
- Support the development and maintenance of SOP's for all labs
- Maintain legal registry
- Ensuring records management and archival programs are instituted and maintained for legal, medical and EHS documentation
- Ensures periodic audits, inspections and walkthroughs are conducted to validate compliance to company standards and local, state, and federal agency regulations including OSHA, EPA, and DOT
- Ensure that emergency response procedures are developed and instituted, and coordinated with local emergency response authorities as applicable.
- Serves as Company liaison with regulatory agencies.
- Works with Procurement for ensuring chemical and equipment purchases are coordinated with EHS.
- Works with Human Resources to ensure EHS documentation, training, exposure and medical records are maintained in accordance with OSHA and HIPAA requirements.
- Analyze proposed research activities to identify hazards and determine the appropriate controls (engineering, administrative, and PPE) needed to sufficiently mitigate the hazards
- Serve as the Laser Safety Officer for Oculus Research (or ensure LSO duties are assigned and carried out by another qualified individual).
- Travel to all locations on an ongoing basis to ensure EHS compliance.
- Responsible for all duties in terms of new labs/chemicals:
- Work with Facilities in the build-out of all new lab spaces:
- Gather all requirements for new lab spaces and the equipment to be used therein
- Review design drawings to ensure compliance with all EHS standards throughout the process
- Manage all lab specific resources once built out
- Work with EHS on adding on any new chemicals
- Help with procurement of specialized lab equipment
- Work with sourcing and procurement teams to ensure timely delivery of specialized equipment that meets the specific needs for each lab
- Work to identify infrastructure, utility, regulatory registration, commissioning, training, chemical/material storage and waste disposal aspects of the equipment prior to its procurement.
- At least 5 years' professional experience directly related to R&D laboratory operations that involve common semiconductor manufacturing processes, extremely toxic/pyrophoric materials, all classes of lasers. Experience should involve identifying hazard mitigation measures.
- Previous management, budget development and/or significant leadership in an individual contributor role required.
- Demonstrated skill in project management issues and practices.
- Working knowledge in OSHA safety requirements, particularly in the areas of chemical safety, electrical safety, compressed gas safety.
- Interpersonal and communication skills. Proven problem-solving and risk assessment skills.
- Ability to collaborate with individuals at all levels of the organization. Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and direct personnel with diverse skills, work styles and values, both directly and through subordinate management.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top