Firmware Engineer, Augmented Reality
Facebook is the world leader in the design of virtual and augmented reality systems. Come work alongside expert engineers and research scientists to create the technology that makes AR and VR pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world. You're a Firmware Engineer with deep embedded system knowledge, a passion for working on new hardware and strong technical leadership skills. You're comfortable working with a wide variety of hardware devices, working with a team to rapidly deliver reliable high performance firmware. At the Facebook AR/VR team, you will design, build and test firmware systems for future Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Mixed Reality (MR) experiences. You will join a world-class team of experts exploring new AR/VR concepts through rapid prototyping. Firmware for AR/VR systems spans multiple target classes, requiring deep collaboration across engineering disciplines (electrical, mechanical, optical, firmware and software) and directly impacting user immersion. We're looking for people who quickly solve problems, generate big ideas, work in new technology areas, drive concepts into prototypes, and envision how those prototypes transition to high-volume consumer products. In this role, you are expected to participate in the definition of architecture and implementation of architecture in both prototype and shipping consumer products as well as demonstrate good development practices and seamless collaboration.
FIRMWARE ENGINEER, AUGMENTED REALITY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze, design, develop, and debug firmware for a wide variety of AR and VR consumer devices, including novel sensing and imaging systems, haptic devices, and audio prototypes
- Understand and implement power-management, boot loaders, scheduling, and RTOS
- Collaborate in a team environment across multiple , product focused, research, and engineering disciplines, making the architectural tradeoffs required to rapidly deliver firmware solutions
- Support all phases of SoC/ASIC development - including early architecture requirements definition for custom silicon, firmware architecture, implementation, simulation, FPGA debug, chip bring up and support systems and software teams on algorithm development on validated systems
- Understand and drive implementation of FW development good practices across teams and projects
- B.S./M.S. degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in embedded firmware design
- Experience producing production quality, fail-safe firmware for low-power real-time system control
- Experience with hardware, clock-level issues, bridges, delays, interrupts, clock gating, polling etc.
- Experience implementing firmware for low-power SoC and tape-out of chips in the past
- Experience with wireless and wired communication protocols, including USB, TCP/IP, Ethernet, Bluetooth and 802.11
- Experience with embedded micro-controllers like ARM Cortex M0/M3/M4 architecture and boot mechanism, interrupt priorities and experience with configuring peripherals
- Experience analyzing hardware and power consumption
- Experience working with DRAM-based systems and issues related to DRAM bandwidth, power and throughput
- Experience with software design and programming in C/C++ for development, debugging, testing and performance analysis
- Experience with instrumentation like oscilloscopes, logic/protocol analyzers for debugging embedded systems at HW level
- Experience with device documentation and translate that information into software solutions
- Experience with methods of designing experiments to diagnose embedded hardware and firmware problems
- Experience with cross multi-disciplinary boundaries to drive system solutions
- Experience with working independently and managing priorities
- Experience with peripherals such as USB, SPI, MIPI CSI/DSI, I2C, UART, GPIO etc.
- Experience with protocol implementations such as USB device classes (UVC, UAC, HID)
- Experience with embedded DSP and CPU architectures
- Experience with EDA design tools and instruction set simulators
- Experience with FPGA and vendor specific hardware evaluation boards
- Experience in real-time processing for computer vision and user interaction tasks, high-compute/throughput systems and using simulation and modeling technique to estimate performance and power
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
RELATED JOB OPENINGS
- Manager, Software Engineering - Assistant AR/VR
- Manager, Software Engineering, AR/VR - AR Operating Systems
Redmond, WA + 1 More
- Software Engineering Manager
- Technical Program Manager, Electrical Engineering
- Technical Program Manager, Shell
- Wireless Systems Engineer
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com . Requests sent to this email address that do not pertain to disability or religious accommodations cannot be answered.
Questions? Check out our FAQs.
Back to top