Field Engineer, Data Center Connectivity
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Field Engineer to join our Data Center Connectivity team (DCC). Our data centers are the foundation upon which our innovative services are delivered and our rapidly scaling infrastructure operates. The DCC team lights up Facebook's global data centers, delivering the physical infrastructure that connects the world to the videos, feeds, and other information stored on Facebook's server banks. The Data Center Connectivity (DCC) Field Engineer has vendor management responsibility for delivering and maintaining new builds and retrofits for all low voltage and fiber optic cabling and support infrastructure. The Field Engineer is the DCC point of contact for our vendor, and to other stakeholders at the data center. This position is full-time.
- Assure delivery and maintenance of all structured cabling and connectivity, on time, within budget, and to corporate standards of quality, reliability, and uptime
- Responsible for managing vendor task assignment, allocation of resources, monitoring progress/execution, and quality of installation for all Operational and Construction activities on site
- Perform quality audits to assure DCC work meets quality standards prior to turn-over.
- Assure site as-built documentation are complete and up-to-date
- Oversight of the run operations team for detailed turn-up schedule, Moves Adds Changes and setting project priorities
- Determine all hardware and materials required to complete each new build and retrofit project and procure from suppliers
- Support development of best practices and initiatives, coordinating SOPs/SIPs with vendors, and participating in global and regional standards
- Assure crisp oversight and clear communications with vendors
- Assure rapid responses to high priority builds and break-fixes
- Proactively communicate progress and risks on site projects and initiatives to key stakeholders
- Assist in developing or identifying network cable/rack/cabinet installation processes and standards
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline or a minimum of 5 years direct experience in fiber optic cabling installation
- Experience overseeing vendors work and suppliers towards the same project goals
- Prior experience in a mission critical environment requiring coordination across multi-disciplines for delivering a common goal
- Organizational and coordination skills to deliver results in a fast-paced, mission critical environment.
- Track record of solving problems under pressure.
- Ability to think strategically and act tactically
- Interpersonal skills, able to connect with and influence a diverse group of stakeholders with different objectives.
- Communication skills.
- Knowledgeable with MS Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top