Field Engineer, Data Center Connectivity
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Field Engineer to join our Global Data Center Connectivity team (DCC). Our data centers are the foundation upon which our innovative services are delivered and our rapidly scaling infrastructure operates. The DCC team lights up Facebook's global data centers, using the latest fiber, cabling and ISP materials to deliver the physical infrastructure that connects the world to our services, videos, feeds, and other information stored on Facebook's global network.
The Field Engineer has vendor management responsibility for delivering and maintaining new builds, retrofits and day-day operations for all low voltage, fiber optic cabling, and support infrastructure. The Field Engineer is the main DCC point of contact for our vendor, and works closely with other stakeholders at the data center. This position is full-time.
- Service Delivery - Assure delivery and maintenance of all structured cabling and connectivity, on time, within budget, and to industry leading standards of quality and reliability.
- Vendor Field Management - Develop and scale our partners responsible for all run ops, construction, and data center improvement activities on site. Work with key partner leaders to monitor the progress, and the quality of installation within our data centers.
- Quality Assurance - Perform ongoing quality audits to assure vendor work meets DCC quality standards prior to turn-over and throughout the lifecycle of the data center. Comprehend, and implement work as shown in the contract documents. Able to review drawings and report back discrepancies (Proactive Quality Control).
- Technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) - Serve as technical lead for industry and Facebook structured cabling standards, product selection, design, and installation methods in the field. Partner with global design and engineer team to support design reviews, BOM reviews, and as-built drawing validations.
- Logistics - Coordinate with design teams as a material SME for all materials questions and estimates.
- Documentation - Assure site as-built design documentation is complete and up-to-date.
- Operations - Oversight of the Run Operations team for detailed turn-up schedule, moves, adds and changes and setting project priorities. Assure rapid responses to high priority builds and break-fixes.
- Strategic Planning - Participate in project pipeline planning and discussions related to the data center.
- Process - Support development of best practices and initiatives, coordinating SOPs/SIPs with vendors, and participating in global and regional standards. Assist in developing or identifying network cable/rack/cabinet installation processes and standards.
- Communications - Assure crisp oversight and clear communications across an array of platforms with cross-functional partners and vendors. Proactively communicate progress and project risks and initiatives to key stakeholders.
- Safety - Ensure vendor is following site, OSHA and EHS safety standards.
- Experience in structured & fiber optic cabling installation
- Track record of problem solving
- Demonstrable experience thinking strategically and acting tactically
- Interpersonal experience and experience connecting with and influencing a group of stakeholders with different objectives
- Experience in a mission critical environment requiring coordination across multi-disciplines for delivering a common goal
- Experience reviewing design documents and specifications
- Construction management experience
- Experience with outside plant cabling (OSP)
- Experience leading people or project teams
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite of tools
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top