Facebook Reality Labs, Mechanical Engineer
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Facebook Reality Labs team is building products that make it easier for people to connect with the ones they love most. We are a team of world-class experts developing and shipping products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. Our team has the responsibility for taking breakthrough concepts and delivering them to market at scale. Facebook Reality Labs team seeks an Mechanical Engineer who has experience in consumer electronics and battery operated mobile products. You will work with Electrical Engineers, Optics Engineers, Computer Vision specialists, the Automation and Test teams, our assembly technicians and many more. You will set the architectural direction of the design, do the detailed CAD work, follow parts through manufacturing, and assemble units for evaluation. This requires an understanding of the interdisciplinary needs of the various teams you will be interacting with. The work will include translating high-level requests and communication into actionable hardware direction, working with key stakeholders to ensure agreement on the proposed solution and generating the necessary documentation to facilitate implementation; such as BOMs, assembly instruction, schedules, and issue trackers. While an expert at mechanical design and fast at CAD, you need to have a broad technical background and have worked on a variety of products, materials, and processes. You know when to stress details, how to navigate the trade-offs between speed, robust design and cost.
- Lead Mechanical Engineering activities in cross-functional team environment
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes
- Participate on a multi-disciplinary team to provide advice/guidance/insights to your peers on what to build
- Apply engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas such as Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control
- Take prototypes to increasing levels of fidelity, and work with the product focused engineers to translate early prototypes into potential product directions
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of product design/prototyping experience, with a combination of focus in areas of precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical systems, and optics, including full system ownership
- Experience designing in CAD
- Experience in various manufacturing techniques (Machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.)
- Experience designing mechanical constraints of PCBs, FPCs, etc.
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience in designing and prototyping of head mounted optics systems
- Familiarity with camera modules and optical systems
- Mass Production experience (working with over-seas manufacturing)
- Experience in NX CAD modeling system, and Team Center PDM
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Back to top