Facebook Reality Labs, Acoustic System Design Engineer
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) Audio Team is looking for an enthusiastic, hands-on Acoustic System Design Engineer. The successful candidate will be an instinctive engineer who involves their head, heart, and hands in the design process. We are looking for meaningful experience in all aspects of product level audio system design - from building up early proof-of-concept technologies, product development and testing, through to production readiness. The ideal engineer employs data driven design, objective and subjective audio evaluation, and a common sense mindset to complex engineering challenges. The best fit for the role will be a gregarious communicator who is able to describe audio activities in a clear and concise manner, relating qualitative experience to quantitative data. The points below describe an example of a strong candidate, however we highly value motivation, work-ethic and enthusiasm: If you don't fit this profile but believe are right for this position we still want to hear from you.
- Primary cross-functional interface with PD/PM/ID/EE/HWTE/etc.
- Define objective performance targets using literature/data driven design goals.
- Holistic audio system design, definition and ownership (i.e. render/capture/amplifier/power delivery/audio chain).
- Collaboration with internal/external specialized teams.
- Develop POC demos to establish performance, gaining cross-functional and leadership buy-in.
- Development of new audio technologies.
- Factory test design and specification.
- BS in Acoustics, Physics, EE, ME, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience focussed around audio system design, influencing cross-functional teams and leadership for the improvement of audio
- Product development and demonstration utilizing: Acoustic Simulation LEM/BEM/FEM (acoustic, magnetic, multiphysics), 3D modeling, MATLAB, and Max MSP
- MS or PhD in Acoustics or Physics
- Experience in transducer design (speakers, microphone, MEM's, etc) and acoustic test development (lab, factory)
- Understanding of design, testing, algorithm prototyping as well as algorithm and audio chain prototyping and demo's
- Personal project experience with: Speaker enthusiast, musician/production/recording, Instrument design, or something completely unexpected (flying go-kart, homemade CNC, laundry folding machine, etc.)
Back to top