Export Compliance Manager, APAC
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
This Asia-Pacific Export Compliance Manager is part of Facebook’s growing Global Trade Compliance Operations team, which is part of Facebook Legal’s Compliance, Security, and Investigations (“CSI”) organization. We partner closely with substantially all other parts of the business, including infrastructure operations, trade legal, facilities, HR, tax, shipping, engineering, Internet.org, and Oculus VR. We educate and empower the organization to move fast while maintaining compliance through a combination of training, responsive partnership, deep subject matter expertise, and excellent customer service.
- Act as first point-of-contact for export compliance operations covering the Asia-Pacific region, including Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, Australia, and China
- Classify widely varied products and technologies with their correct regional export control classification number (MY Strategic Items List, SG Strategic Goods Control List, TW Strategic High-Tech Commodity, etc.) and applicable Harmonized System code
- Conduct import / export license determination reviews on shipments by applying a deep knowledge of local trade compliance regimes
- Draft applications and apply for import / export licenses for shipments to meet Facebook’s global supply-chain needs
- Comply with and monitor import / export license conditions
- Act as Singapore Strategic Goods Control Officer (“SGCO”) and manage Facebook’s TradeFIRST membership and accompanying responsibilities
- Administer and improve Facebook’s Export Management and Compliance Program (“EMCP”), Internal Compliance Program (“ICP”), and Technology Control Plans (“TCP”), as applicable in the Asia-Pacific region
- Organize and act as signatory on trade documents if required in APAC region
- Liaise with internal and external teams including Facebook HQ, third party logistics providers, customs authorities, and outside consultants / counsel
- Manage, audit, and correct trade compliance information in Facebook’s enterprise resource planning (“ERP”), engineering product lifecycle management (“PLM”), and global trade management (“GTM”) systems
- Help develop best-in-class scalable export compliance processes, procedures, and systems to support growing and varied lines of business
- Advise and support logistics, shipping, HR, and security teams on global export operations
- Develop and deliver trade compliance trainings for and to new hires, project teams, senior management, and entire offices
- Seven+ years in export and global trade compliance, with emphasis on SG Strategic Goods Control Act, Hong Kong Strategic Commodities Control System, and global dual-use and military-use export control principles
- Fluent read/write in English and Mandarin Chinese to work with documentation in English and Mandarin.
- Ability to make export jurisdiction & classification assessments for services, software, technologies, and products
- Ability to file accurate and timely import / export licenses with government authorities in APAC region
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in fast paced, cross-functional, and global environment
- Proven project management, self-motivation, and creative problem solving capabilities
- Strong desire to learn, develop, and grow professionally
- BA or MBA in business, economics, finance or related discipline
- or equivalent law degree
- Customs Broker, Empowered Official, or similar export certification
- Trade management systems use or implementation (e.g. Oracle GTM, SAP GTS, Amber Road, Agile), APAC dual-use and munitions list regulations
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top