Executive Sous Chef
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is currently seeking an Executive Sous Chef for our Culinary Team. The qualified individual will be responsible for the leadership of the kitchen by managing and overseeing the activities of the entire kitchen, including total spending of the new café in our Sydney office, vendor management, inventory control, directly supervising all kitchen staff with the responsibility for hiring, training and employee development. As an Executive Sous Chef you will be held accountable for the execution of your shift and overall operations with the Chef. The successful candidate will be required to promote constant harmony and positive, constructive communication with the café in order to move forward in establishing a pleasant workplace. This position is full-time, Monday - Friday. This role will be based in Sydney.
- Managing the budget set by the Executive Chef
- Responsible for total café spend - including accurate weekly reports of itemized food cost and labor cost to Executive Chef
- Train and supervise kitchen staff and receiving team, responsible for receiving all goods purchased, maintaining and organizing storerooms and walk-in refrigerators/freezers
- Assist the Chef team with menu planning - including research, menu and recipe writing, and menu dissemination for creation of order guides
- Work closely with the Chef team in determining quality and quantity of food materials used with a view of eliminating waste and spoilage, especially meats, fish, products, etc.
- Responsible for the quality of all food items prepared in the kitchen they supervise.
- Establish, manage, and maintain all vendor relationships - including regular vendor evaluations of product quality, invoice accuracy, delivery accuracy, regular price comparisons, and service level
- Assist the Executive Chef and the Chef team with managing the contracted employees who are the bulk of the café staff
- Responsible for inventory control for all storerooms and refrigerated storage areas
- Responsible for maintaining good repair of all kitchen and café dining room equipment including all small wares, coffee and soda machines, all cooking apparatus, and all refrigeration ("reach-in" and "walk-in"), and scheduled preventative maintenance and unscheduled service calls
- Responsible for determination of warrantee or non-warranty service for all covered equipment
- Insuring that price points are established and maintained by the Chef team
- Responsible for safety and sanitation of the workplace
- 10+ years of experience, including management experience leading a team
- Previous experience in kitchen essential
- Strong APAC food knowledge, including local cuisine. Ideal candidates will also have experience with European and American cuisines, as the Facebook café explores different cuisines every day and ingredients to be sourced can be unfamiliar and very difficult to obtain
- Strong financial acumen, with proven experience in menu planning and budget management
- Thorough understanding of all occupational health and safety issues
- Confident communicator with the ability to stay calm and focused whilst under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and work with a sense of urgency
- Solid track record of success in previous assignments / operations
- Culinary school graduate
Back to top