Enterprise Systems Engineer, Virtualization
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an experienced virtualization engineer to join the Enterprise Systems Engineering team. The position is full-time and is based in our Menlo Park, CA location. The core function of the team is to provide an infrastructure for supporting many of the business's compute needs along with ancillary tooling and services. Our customers consist of various business and product teams as well as many Facebook partners around the globe.
The core function of the Systems Engineering team responsible for providing an infrastructure outside of production for a wide array of compute needs along with any supporting tooling and services. Enterprise Systems Engineers are provided a unique opportunity to work across a broad set of systems and are encouraged to take on cross-functional challenges and projects. This flexibility allows the team to make impact in the areas they are most passionate about while still being able to experience a broad set of disciplines providing value to Facebook's mission of connecting the world.
- Maintain our globally distributed virtual compute environment with a focus on the performance, availability and growth needs of the company.
- Build an ecosystem supported by full-coverage automation with a bias towards build vs. buy and self-service as a primary objective.
- Design and maintain our monitoring, reporting and capacity planning functions using Facebook's internal monitoring and data systems.
- Design and maintain a virtualization DR strategy that integrates with Facebook's production strategies and targets.
- Work with hardware vendors in conjunction with Facebook's own infrastructure and capacity teams to deliver a set of compute and storage strategies that align with Facebook DC standards and lifecycle management.
- Build effective partnerships with business and product teams along with relevant service owners to provide a first-class compute infrastructure.
- 4+ years of experience with one or more virtualization stacks (VMware, Hyper-V, AWS, etc.).
- 4+ years of experience with one or more configuration management systems (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.).
- 3+ years of experience with UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals.
- 3+ years of coding experience with languages such as Python, C++, Go, etc.
- Experience with one or more Linux distributions.
- Programming experience in Python, PowerCLI, Go, Ruby.
- Experience deploying and managing services and applications with public cloud providers.
Back to top