Enterprise Database Engineer
- Fremont, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Enterprise Engineering is looking for Database Engineers. Our customers are Facebook's employees, and we support the database infrastructure they rely on to keep the business growing and information safe. We use a combination of open source and off-the-shelf database systems like MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server etc., plus many of the tools developed to run facebook.com. You will be responsible for growing the database environment by solving configuration, performance, and infrastructure problems at scale.
- Build, scale, and secure Facebook's corporate database infrastructure, focusing specifically on MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Improve and optimize database administration and management with coding and automation with a focus on the performance, high availability and reliability.
- Build an ecosystem supported by full-coverage automation with a bias towards build vs. buy and self-service as a primary objective.
- Work in a heterogeneous environment containing diverse database and operating systems, and make them work well together.
- Find ways to leverage the scale and complexity of the larger facebook.com infrastructure to solve problems for Enterprise customers.
- Be the final escalation point for issues related to Enterprise Database systems.
- Produce systems that are scalable, automated, and well-documented, and train others to take on operations.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of database administration experience working with Microsoft SQL Server 2016 along with either MySQL 8.0 or PostgreSQL 11.0 in a multi data-center environment with clustering for high availability and disaster recovery
- 2+ years of experience with InnoDB cluster, SQL Server AlwaysOn and Windows Failover Clustering
- 2+ years of experience with Linux and Windows Server 2016/2019 operating systems
- 2+ years experience coding in at least one of the following languages: Python, PowerShell, PHP or Ruby
- 2+ years experience working with monitoring and configuration management tools such as Puppet and Chef
Back to top