Engineering Program Manager, Portal New Technologies
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Portal team is building products that make it easier for people to connect with the ones they love most. We are a team of world-class experts developing and shipping products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. The Portal Systems Engineering team is responsible for driving technology & platform investigations and decisions across a multi-disciplinary team including Product Management, Silicon, Software/AI, Product Design, System Integration, Audio, Wireless, and Cameras/Sensors. The team collaborates with these partners to evaluate trade-offs in technologies, experiences, cost, features, and other product parameters to arrive at optimized product solutions. These architectures are captured with documentation that can then be referenced by all the product engineering functions and ultimately validated against.The Portal team seeks an Engineering Program Manager to organize, coordinate, and lead these efforts. In this role, you will be responsible for driving collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams across the org, collating inputs, and distilling them into a new technology introduction roadmap that can be applied to future Portal products. You will also work closely with the product engineering team to identify appropriate technologies and platforms to enable specific product and experience goals by delineating trade offs in performance, cost, and time-to-market.The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical understanding of systems engineering and architecture of consumer electronic devices. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a EPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
- Guide a multi-disciplinary team to identify and prioritize hardware technologies and tech-driven features against future Portal experiences, and then driving development of those technologies and features to the point of intersection with a product roadmap
- Implement frameworks for technical specifications, project schedules from technology early incubation to OK2Book, and technology-to-product integration processes
- Lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between internal teams and external vendors to develop optimal engineering solutions
- Make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional project teams
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints
- Manage project and task tracking for the Portal Systems Engineering team and its collaboration with the rest of the cross-functional organization
- 5+ years of experience as a technical program manager
- Experience managing efforts within Systems Engineering and Architecture domain with emphasis on Audio, Camera, Performance, Security/Privacy and/or Compute
- Experience taking projects and break them down into pieces, develop specifications, then deliver them in a manner that can be clearly understood by development teams and senior management
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in delivery and commercialization of consumer electronic devices (e.g. cell phones, smart home, etc.)
- Experience working with hardware suppliers
- Experience working with new technology product
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Back to top