Engineering Manager, Human Understanding
At Oculus, weâ€™re developing the future of Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR) and Mixed Reality (MR). We are currently seeking an experienced technical lead/manager for the Human Understanding Pittsburgh team. Human Understanding is tasked with building next generation technology and experiences centered around Virtual Humans, self-presence and social presence achieved through tracking, capturing & reconstruction of faces, eyes, hands and body. We're pushing the state of the art in 3D computer vision, and as lead/manager you will help recruit and manage a team of software, computer vision and machine learning engineers. The right candidate thrives in a cross-functional environment as the team work closely collaborates with Research, Hardware, Firmware and Software teams in multiple geographic locations. This position involves working with early technology paths, with a focus on execution and working collaboratively to manage system maturation/risk, while providing clear and effective communication across the team. We're looking for candidates who share a passion for exploring and solving complex, unsolved problems at the intersection of VR and machine learning. This position is based in Pittsburgh.
- Be both a highly technical, hands-on coder and effective people manager
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Build and lead computer vision team to deliver next-generation tracking technology for virtual reality systems
- Establish solid project framework and excellent development processes
- Work closely with various organizations to define and execute long-term technology road maps
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the engineering and management teams
- Recruit world-class talent and provide mentorship to team members
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts
- 6+ years of management experience in software development, embedded systems, graphics, computer vision and/or machine learning, including building high performing teams.
- MS degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- Collaborator, communication experience with managing cross-team and cross-geography collaboration.
- Knowledge in compute & systems development, track record in building technology & product development.
- Experience managing joint hardware-software development and associated rapid prototyping projects.
Back to top