Engineering Manager, Education Modernization
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
The Education Modernization (EdMod) group at Facebook seeks to apply Facebook technology, knowledge & services to advance K-12 education. Areas of focus right now are TechStart (techstart.fb.com (http://techstart.fb.com/)) and inspirED (inspired.fb.com (http://inspired.fb.com/)). We are also actively working on creating engaging and valuable communities and experiences in and surrounding tech in support of these programs and as stand alone experiences. TechStart focuses on creating future opportunities through CS for primarily low income high school student populations. inspirED aims to empower high school students to create more positive, emotionally intelligent climates at their high schools. Both initiatives put students first and one of the most significant opportunities for both initiatives is to create positive impact for students through leverage of technology. Specifically, technology that Facebook is uniquely well suited to deploy, manage and develop in support of education. The EdMod Engineering Manager (EM) will develop a deep understanding of our students and educators, their motivations, desires and habits and leverage these insights to engage, grow and support this audience through the application of technology. We will have a particular focus on leveraging Oculus and Virtual Reality as part of this work, so the EM can expect to spend a lot of cycles working with VR. Facebook is uniquely positioned to leverage technology on behalf of learners and the EM will play a primary role in helping us reach our impact potential in Education.
- Research and identify which forms of technology engagement are most meaningful to our target students
- Meet with students in their environments
- Study other technology-based learning models that have been successful with our target audience
- Lead the design and creation of technology experiences that support EdMod's mission
- Leverage our presence with students to create smooth onboarding paths to technology-centered experiences
- Plan for scale
- Provide thought leadership for the role of technology - in particular, VR - in Education
- Plan and either lead or support the rollout of technology products and experiences with our learning communities
- Measurably demonstrate & track the value our technology experiences provide for students and educators
- Can act proactively based on understanding of legal and policy implications for different technology experiences
- Degree in Computer Science required
- Experience with the education industry experience
- Experience with VR industry
- Ability to apply technology for the betterment of learning experiences
- Experience sharing responsibilities and objectives with peers
- Experience formulating strategy and keeping track of metrics and goals.
- Experience working with different teams and able to pivot as necessary, according to goals and objectives
- Experience tracking record of operating independently, being detail-oriented, and delivering results in an organized manner.
- Experience working with or in support of diverse communities
- Experience managing a small team
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top