Engineering Manager, Data Center Connectivity
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to join our Data Center Connectivity (DCC) team. The DCC Engineering Manager will provide leadership and oversight to teams responsible for physical layer connectivity at our data centers, specifically structured cabling design and associated new product & new process introduction. The successful candidate will create industry-leading vision and strategy, and will partner closely with our network and hardware engineering teams to drive rapid, high quality builds employing state-of-the-art hardware. The Engineering Manager is responsible for scaling our design and new product introduction teams and processes, developing technical and management talent, assuring adoption of high impact products and processes, and delivering the right designs to enable Facebook's growth. This position is full-time and is based in our headquarters in Menlo Park, CA.
- Lead the Data Center Connectivity teams responsible for structured cabling design, including new builds, retrofits, and leased-space fit-outs, introduction of new connectivity products, and new process introduction
- Build a high performing engineering team, with emphasis on mentoring and developing engineering leaders and individual contributors within DCC and across the Infra Data Center organization
- Provide leadership to effectively collaborate with and influence organizations that connect with DCC, including network and hardware engineering groups, construction teams, and sourcing teams. Establish crisp hand-offs between teams.
- Develop and drive strong cross-functional communications between the DCC engineering, field, and leadership teams
- Deliver cabling designs, product introductions, and process improvements that assure complex data center build and retrofit projects are executed on time and in budget
- Consistently deliver cost-effective infrastructure that leads the industry in quality, performance, and functionality
- With software tooling and adjacent teams, deliver streamlined processes that scale engineering and operations within DCC and across Infrastructure
- Operationalize and innovate structured cabling design processes, assuring transparent delivery of designs meeting or exceeding quality, reliability, cost, schedule, and scalability targets
- Work with vendors and cross-functionally within Facebook Infrastructure to assure successful product introductions, from validation of new products to support and training of field teams and rapid, effective follow-up on RMAs
- Support Facebook initiatives to drive industry directions and standards, to deliver the best infrastructure in the industry
- Develop and communicate a documented engineering roadmap, goals, and objectives. Drive best practices through crisp processes, documentation, and training materials.
- With Infrastructure leadership, establish Key Performance Indicators and engineering performance targets for builds as well as sustaining operations. Consistently deliver to these targets.
- Highlight opportunities for significant engineering improvements and lead high impact, cross-functional initiatives with measurable results
- Identify and respond to high-priority issues rapidly and effectively
- Travel approximately 25% to support field installations, evaluate new products and processes, and drive industry standards
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or equivalent
- 15+ years professional experience in a leadership role
- Engineering experience from design through delivery of new products or services
- Ability to engage, influence, and lead stakeholders
- Experience problem solving, thinking strategically and executing tactically
- Experienced in engineering management, team building, and leadership development
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, hands-on work environment, and have experience leading projects.
- Experience with fiber optic cabling, optics, & network hardware
- Experience with data centers, structured cabling, and construction
- Advanced engineering degree
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top