Engineering Manager, CDN Infrastructure
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook designs, builds and operates one of the largest globally-distributed CDNs in the world. In this role, you will have a unique opportunity to use your broad engineering skill set to partner with product engineering teams to improve user experience for billions of people across Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger, Oculus, and many more products. The team you will lead has a broad charter to build scalable systems to expose product quality of experience insights for people using FB apps around the world, simulate the end-to-end impact of massive scale events, drive caching architecture decisions, and more.The right leader for this role will be creative, technical, collaborative, and able to bring together competing objectives and demands in a manner that maximizes the impact for our customers and the company. This role is a leadership role and must inspire cross functional teams to solve the right problems to improve performance.
- Responsible for management and continuous employee development of a highly technical global team of at least 5 engineers.
- Work cross-functionally with highly technical software engineering and network engineering teams.
- Ensure that the right systems and processes are in place to provide a high-quality signal on current performance with an eye toward where we can improve user quality of experience the most.
- Evaluate Facebook platform program goals from a capacity, reliability, and performance perspective, translating these into requirements and driving roadmaps with internal and external partners.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to team members.
- Partner with product engineering teams to instrument metrics and build scalable systems that identify key relationships across network and user quality of experience measures.
- Build systems and tools to root-cause the hardest problems on some of the largest and most complex systems in the world.
- Leverage machine learning and related techniques to deliver solutions for large network infrastructure problems.
- Build and maintain complex optimization models.
- Define and monitor the right measures to improve platform architecture and design.
- 4+ years of experience in managing other team members in a formal or informal capacity.
- 3+ years experience coding in at least one programming language, and experience learning new development languages (e.g., PHP, Python, C++, or Java).
- Knowledge of network infrastructure and/or routing.
- Experience with data logging and processing at scale.
- Experience with analysis of network and performance metrics.
- Experience partnering with highly technical engineering teams to solve open ended issues.
- Degree in an analytical field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Management Science) or equivalent experience.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Back to top