Engineering Designer, Data Center Connectivity
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Designer to join our Data Center Connectivity team. Our Data Centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly growing infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services delivered. The successful candidate is responsible for design execution of inside and outside plant structured cabling for our data center installations, including new builds and retrofits. Candidates must be capable of working directly with the design engineers to generate designs based on standard design templates and tooling. In addition to assuring timely delivery of design documentation, designers are expected to contribute in the development and operation of new and established tools, processes, and standards. Full lifecycle engagement is required, with lessons learned from field deployments rolled into future designs. The designer is expected to collaborate effectively with design, hardware and field engineers, assuring their requirements are satisfied and implemented in the structured cabling design. This position is full-time and is based in our main office in Menlo Park, CA.
- Ensure timely delivery of scalable fiber optic & copper plant design documentation throughout Facebook data centers
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to deliver designs meeting capacity and network requirements and turn-up timelines
- Develop construction drawings and specifications, including, schematic diagrams, pathway and rack layouts, rack elevations, cable schedules, and Bill of Materials for all ISP and OSP cabling
- Work closely with the Design Engineers, and with their guidance, produce a high quality design product that is both constructible and functional
- Assist with RFP & Bid documents to capture all aspects of project deliverables
- Coordinate with DCC field teams, contractors, and other departments in Facebook to successfully execute structured cabling builds
- Identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively
- Support development of highly accurate budgets and cost forecasts
- Support New Product Introduction activities that improve infrastructure quality, reduce cost and installation time
- Travel 20+% to review projects and coordinate with onsite personnel and contractors at Facebook Data Centers
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science
- 2+ years of engineering experience in a construction field
- Experience in Design (Revit/AutoCAD/Bluebeam) and Documentation Applications (Microsoft Office)
- Detail oriented, able to execute and meet deadlines, while maintaining a high level of quality
- Demonstrated ability to translate stakeholder and engineering requirements into constructible design drawings and documentation
- Knowledge of fiber optic component, cabling, and interconnect products, technologies, and standards
- Data center or other mission critical development experience
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top