Embedded Software Engineer, Network
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Driven by our rapid growth, Facebook is looking to take advantage of the efficiencies gained by optimizing our network hardware for our data centers. We have developed our Wedge, Wedge100, and Backpack hardware running FBOSS software and have deployed them into production. Facebook is looking for a System Engineer to support this ongoing development and large-scale deployment of the overall network hardware of Facebook. We are also interested in programmability of the hardware including the forwarding programming layer and expect this person to drive evaluations of performance, scale, and power for a given program, and optimize it for different network roles within the Facebook network. This position is full time located in our Menlo Park headquarters.
- Software support for hardware bring-up, prototyping with different switch ASIC vendors and building common tools to interface with different vendors prototyping SDK's
- Support test automation and build out software framework/tools to support rapid hardware prototyping.
- Support of existing fleet in production via on-calls and general support
- Support and maintain Network Hardware Engineering codebase.
- Interface with outside vendors (e.g. ASIC chip vendors)
- Jointly develop code roadmap in collaboration with software and firmware teams, while supporting and maintaining the HW NetEng existing codebase
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline with 3+ years of experience
- Experience with software development phases including architecture, development, testing and deployment
- Experience with switch operation, software stack, and networking protocols, experience in at least one area of networking protocols in conjunction with ASIC
- Experience with C / C++ and rapid prototyping languages (e.g. Go Lang, Python, etc.)
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with higher layer full-stack development e.g. LAMP
- Experience with test equipment and automation and related interfaces (e.g. GPIB, serial, telnet, etc.)
- Familiarity of Hardware networking and some of the relevant interfaces (e.g. Ethernet)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top