Electrical Engineer, Aircraft Power Systems
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
The Facebook Aquila UAV requires a highly efficient and light weight power system, ranging from motors to batteries to solar cells. Facebook seeks an Electrical Engineer specialist responsible for advancing the state of the art by carefully reviewing vendor designs and building models to verifying their capability. This role primarily involves working with suppliers and partners and requires an excellent project manager, technical expert, and analyst - all in one.
- Understand power system requirements based on overall system requirements and feasibility studies, specifying performance and SWaPC requirements.
- Evaluate suppliers' electrical designs and provide improvement.
- Create independent, detailed performance models of electrical subsystems and components. These will include motor and propeller performance, energy storage, and solar collection. Compare results to mission requirements (wind, latitude, longitude, altitude, trajectory) and supplier date.
- Evaluate suppliers' test plans, data, and results and compare to model
- Monitor and report on the state of the art for relevant power systems (e.g. HALE aircraft and UAVs)
- Drive the development of collaborative industry efforts
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering.
- 10+ years of experience in electrical engineering
- Experience in design and development of power systems >1 kW in size, for weight-sensitive applications like electric vehicles, aircraft, or spacecraft.
- Demonstrated experience as a technical reviewer and analyst
- Demonstrated experience modeling power systems at the subsystem level
- Experience in working with vendors to deliver projects. Project management experience.
- <10% travel
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top