Edge Network Planner
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
How will Facebook scale to the next billion users? Facebook's global network team is looking for an Edge Network Planner to join the backbone and edge engineering team to be a part of that journey. This team is responsible for designing, implementing and supporting one of the world's largest and most complex networks. In this role you will have a unique opportunity to provide strategic analysis to understand and enable the explosive growth across the entire portfolio of products including Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus, and more. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Facebook, highly analytical, have strong mathematical aptitude and experience using automation to drive effective planning. This is a full-time position based in our headquarters in Menlo Park, CA.
- Work with various teams to understand the network, user base, performance constraints and growth requirements across all products.
- Create clear input requirements, and manage the modeling output for data-driven decision making.
- Perform analysis across a large number of data sources to create a network strategy for capacities, location and facilities
- Work with procurement and other teams to devise strategies on hardware and network acquisitions around the globe
- Own forecasting and capacity reporting for the backbone and edge networks
- Work with technical operation teams to define problems, collect data, synthesize relevant data, build analytical models and forecasts for Internet Service Providers
- Combine data and business principles to recommend solutions for large web infrastructure problems.
- Leverage tools like R, PHP, Python, Hadoop & SQL to drive efficient analytics.
- Build and maintain complex optimization and capacity constraint models to characterize architectural guidelines and design principles to inform network capacity decisions.
- Communicate final recommendations and drive improvements to the overall network strategy
- Knowledge of network infrastructure and web technologies
- Data analysis skills and the ability to effectively communicate those results
- Demonstrated problem solving ability with experience providing practical business insights from large data sets.
- Able to communicate with multiple internal customers to collect relevant data and produce comprehensive analyses
- Experience with SQL
- Experience with at least 1 scripting language (Python, PHP, PERL etc.)
- Understanding of statistics and optimization techniques
- Degree in an analytical field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Management Science)
- 2 plus years of industry experience
- Experience in demand forecasting, Monte Carlo simulations, network analysis, performance metrics and operations research for demand-based networks and server fleets.
- Experience with packages such as R, MATLAB
- Graduate work experience
- Experience in Infrastructure or Technical Operations
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top