Director, Technical Program Management, Data Infrastructure
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Director of Technical Program Management for Data Infrastructure will be responsible for managing programs to deliver highly scalable and reliable big data, streaming, and data analytics platforms for Facebook Infrastructure. She/He will partner tightly with the software engineering, hardware engineering, data engineering, and production engineering teams to drive critical programs across performance, reliability, efficiency, security, usability, and capacity in these areas. The individual will be closely involved in overseeing teams in the development of platforms and services that will allow data engineers and analytics teams access to exabytes of data to understand Product trends for Facebook and customer needs. A deep understanding of data systems, storage hardware and software, and real-time architectures is required.
The Director of TPM for Data Infrastructure will have demonstrated experience building, grooming, and mentoring technical program management or engineering teams of 50 or more, and a proven track record of scaling infrastructure in a highly transformative environment. Specifically, she/he will be an innovative, intellectually curious problem solver with deep technical expertise across caching, storage, distributed systems, and cloud technologies. This person does not need to have the "correct" answer to everything but, rather, should be able to quickly drive the conversation toward a productive programmatic solution by including the right stakeholders, weighing pros/cons, business needs, and timelines for masterful execution and delivery.
This position will be based at Facebook Headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Manage portions of Facebook's 24x7, always-available infrastructure to meet the high traffic needs, and strive to eliminate downtime and improve the manageability of services.
- Build and lead a world-class team of TPM's capable of scaling with Facebook through a period of continued high-growth while forging tight partnerships with managers and engineers across infrastructure.
- Demonstrate an ability to structure an organization and optimize it for execution, including attracting top tier talent and filing out gaps in the existing team quickly to accommodate growth.
- Able to lead from the front, prioritize, and drive the bigger mission forward by translating vision into results.
- Manage, mentor and grow the existing technical program management teams
- able to manage those who need more help.
- Measure and improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes that are working well and build the next level of improvements
- set standards for deployments at scale, infrastructure reliability, security, and scalability.
- Partner with all technical functions across the company to ensure all organizations are in sync.
- Continue to improve the thriving engineering culture across all tech functions. Build and lead an organization with customer focus, world class quality, and effective communication with a focus on decisive, fast moving solutions, quick and constructive resolutions to conflicts, and a "no barriers" mentality.
- Serve as an evangelist for the team and overall culture, both internally and externally.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 15+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical product/program management experience.
- Experience with large-scale commercial data/stream processing systems such as Cloudera, AWS, Google Cloud, and/or Azure.
- Experience in machine learning workload and AI powered products.
- Experience communicating behind program architectures, including how and why they were run, and the systems put in place to run them.
- Knowledge in technical program management methodologies.
- Experience moving technical or engineering programs from concept to completion and experience articulating the impact using metrics, growth examples, return, etc.
- Experience with Spark, Presto, Dataflow, Dataswarm, Dataproc Streaming, Hbase, Python, R, SQL, Pytorch.
- Experience with scale, production with emphasis on Reliability, Efficiency, Scalability, Privacy, Security, etc.
Back to top