Director, Production Engineering
- Boston, MA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook seeks to recruit a new Director, Production Engineering to oversee one of the largest real-time infrastructures in the world. The successful candidate will lead various teams in the production operations space and will be involved in the development of the infrastructure as well as building the organization to support it. She/he will work closely with the software engineering teams building infrastructure and will focus on driving scalability, stability, reliability, operability of services, and security. She/he must understand the demands of managing a 24x7 application at large-scale.
The successful candidate will have experience building teams and grooming/mentoring team members. Specifically, she/he will be an innovative, intellectually curious, tinkerer-type and a strong problem solver who stays current on modern solutions and best practices. She/he will participate, contribute and drive technical discussions with the teams when necessary. This candidate does not need to have the "correct" answer to everything, but rather should be able to drive the conversation toward a productive solution by including all the right stakeholders, weighing pros/cons, business needs, timelines, etc.
In addition to technical acumen and experience with service/apps of high demand, this role requires someone who has individual experience in structuring organizations and optimizing them for execution, as well as participating in recruiting and building teams.
One of Production Engineering's core values is to "get things done" through hard work and flexibility, and they are seeking a candidate who can lead from the front; she/he should be able to prioritize what it takes to drive the bigger mission forward and translate that vision into results.
- Manage portions of Facebook's 24x7, always-available infrastructure to meet the high traffic needs, and strive to eliminate downtime and improve the manageability of its services
- Build and manage a world-class team of managers and engineers capable of scaling with Facebook through a period of continued high-growth
- Attract top tier talent to match this level of growth
- Manage and mentor portions of the existing operations team
- Able to manage high performers as well as performance manage those who need more help
- Measure and improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes that are working well and build the next level of improvements
- Set standards for deployments at scale, infrastructure reliability and scalability
- Team with all technical functions in the company ensuring that all organizations are in sync
- Continue to improve on a thriving engineering culture across all tech functions
- Build and lead an organization with customer focus, world class quality, effective communication, decisive, fast moving solutions, quick and constructive resolutions of conflicts, and a "no barriers" mentality
- Serve as an evangelist for the team and overall culture, both internally and externally
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience running systems at scale leveraging web scale technologies like: PHP, Nginx, Squid, memcached, Apache, Python, MySQL, Redis, Hadoop, and HBASE
- Experience with Linux/Unix internals and systems services like DNS, DHCP, TFTP, iptables, smtp, etc.
- Experience with networking protocols such as TCP, UDP and HTTP
- Experience implementing instrumentation and monitoring solutions
- Investigate and determine improvements in our CDN infrastructure to improve performance, and increase reliability.
Back to top