Director, Optical Technologies in Network Hardware Engineering
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
This Management position of Hardware Network Engineering will be passionate about identifying, developing and delivering the next generation disruptive infrastructure technologies. This is an intellectually complex and operationally challenging role that will afford the opportunity to lead the way the technology industry deploys hardware infrastructure at scale! In addition, this Director of Network Hardware Optics will build and lead teams that design, build, test and successfully implement complex, cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary technologies & projects. Given the magnitude, complexity and impact of Facebook, the individual in this role must be an exceptional leader with strong leadership skills, solid business acumen, superior technical aptitude and an intrinsic ambition for and skill at building & growing an industry leading organization that consistently delivers world-class infrastructure.
The team gathers requirements with internal and external stakeholders, designs/develops hardware, creates product/implementation roadmaps, identifies risks and clearly communicates with stakeholders from all levels.
We look for directors who can adapt quickly to a fast-growing and evolving environment, build an environment that develops people & behavior and allows the team to learn and grow.
We operate in a fast-paced, challenging and fun environment! We are passionate about identifying, developing and delivering the next generation disruptive infrastructure technologies. We work together as one team to deliver on our commitments. We challenge the status quo and every member of our team every day internally and externally. We always search for ways to drive innovation, scale & efficiencies into and across our infrastructure.
A successful leader on the hardware engineering team has a leadership style putting the company and the team first, a proven track record of solid execution, great business acumen, a high bar for excellence, the ability to drive innovation, great communication skills, a penchant for giving & receiving feedback, and strong cross-functional and supplier partnership skills.
The individual in this role will work with her/his peers to set the vision, create the roadmap & engineering deliverables and ensure the successful deployment of these products/technologies into our data centers globally. This position will be based at Facebook Headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Lead the technology industry and the engineering efforts in optical HW development with focus on client/grey optics first, co-packaged optics with switch and optics, and with a planned expansion of the HW development into DWDM/WAN in future. The focus on engineering execution of our optical programs.
- Inspire & lead the network optical design team.
- Focus on developing engineering talent with the proper exposure to new technologies, coaching/mentoring and challenging them to deliver the right business outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Software teams, capacity planning, network engineering teams including data network architecture teams, and other HW engineering disciplines at FB.
- Support the development of project schedules based on the product requirements, technical challenges and business needs.
- Influence board design and bring up, with focus on quality, efficiency and re-usability of the designs.
- Manage communication within and between hardware teams as well as qualification, capacity planning, manufacturing, supply chain and data center operations teams.
- Create assembly architectures to successfully integrate mechanical, electrical, design and manufacturing requirements.
- Work with teams to set milestones, communicate project statuses, and identify/address potential setbacks.
- Work with engineering hardware leaders to develop best practices and development processes in a dynamic environment.
- Coordinate and contribute to engineering deliverables including specifications, test plans and reliability metrics.
- Engage with the various teams across FB to identify, scope, constraints, dependencies, risk management in the delivery of global projects.
- Identify engineering, technical or business barriers and potential roadblocks.
- Coordinate engineering, development & release communication with external hardware partners.
- Organize prototyping/Testing with hardware engineering teams and ODMs.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of engineering management experience in a technology environment.
- Demonstrated industry-changing thought leadership and execution.
- Knowledge of industry technology trends and technologies applicable to Facebook.
- Experience in the development of network products for hyperscale infrastructure including switches, routers, transport, or optics.
- Leadership experience in leading individuals and facilitating teams to find solutions to problems.
- Experience in leading timeline, multi-partner initiatives.
- Organizational, communication and coordination experience.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top