Director, Office of Data Protection
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook seeks a highly experienced and motivated data protection and privacy professional to fill the role of Director, Office of Data Protection for the Facebook family of companies (Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus). This person will be focused on advising on European data protection and privacy requirements and compliance for Facebook's product development.
Facebook recognizes the importance of data protection and privacy to the millions of people who use its services, and in ensuring compliance with data protection law and the EU's General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR"). This individual will play a critical role in driving change and ensuring compliance with GDPR across all products for the Facebook family of companies.
- Providing strategic advice and guidance on all aspects of data protection and privacy to ensure Facebook's products are designed, built and supported to comply with the letter and spirit of the GDPR
- Acting as the primary representative of the DPO on all matters related to product development and ensure material issues are identified and escalated to the DPO as necessary
- Advising on the governance process for product review and approval, and monitoring the integrity of this process
- Identifying and prioritizing risks, exercising strong judgment and ensuring rapid escalation to relevant decision makers with close integration with critical advisors, particularly the various legal and policy teams involved
- Providing and managing the provision of ODPO advice on data protection impact assessments under Art. 35 of the GDPR
- Ensuring that the right information is requested at the right time and delivered to the right teams to ensure that the best advice can be provide rapidly and effectively
- Identifying trends and themes on recurring issues, and helping to advise on solutions to reduce repetition and duplication
- Supporting on engagement and briefings to the Irish Data Protection Commission on relevant product related matters
- Reporting on Facebook's compliance with the GDPR to the highest management level within Facebook
- Experience in European data protection and privacy law and practices, and have a detailed knowledge of how to apply the spirit and letter of the GDPR in a product and technology context
- Demonstrated experience advising on product development and data management
- Proven impeccable judgment, and experience navigating a complex and fast paced business and product environment with confidence and professionalism
- Demonstrated strategic leadership and experience in working across multiple functions to articulate, coordinate and drive agreed strategies
- Proven communication skills, experience conveying complex and nuanced information and concisely. Experience presenting to executive management at the very highest levels
- Proven record of engaging with Data Protection Authorities at the highest levels on matters concerning data protection compliance in relation to products and technology
- Demonstrated understanding and experience maintaining the independence of the Office of the DPO while also acting collaboratively and openly with colleagues to achieve rapid resolution of issues or escalations
- Extensive working experience and proven track record of dealing with data protection and privacy issues for multi-national organizations
- Knowledge and interest in emerging technologies and their potential social and economic impacts
- Knowledge of Facebook's and other internet providers' business models, products and platforms
- Demonstrated experience finding practical, pragmatic and creative solutions to compliance issues
- JD or other advanced degree
- Management Expereince
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top