Director of WhatsApp Public Policy, India
WhatsApp is seeking a Director of Public Policy to develop WhatsApp's policy strategy and engagement in India and the South Asia region. This is a great opportunity for someone wanting to make an impact as part of a small, nimble team serving more than 1.5 billion people around the world.
As the Director of Public Policy for WhatsApp in the India and South Asia region, you will help shape various product and issue agendas with policy makers inside and outside government. In addition, you will help advise our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team. The role requires significant experience either working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues. In this role, you will also manage strategic outreach and policy campaigns to advance the values and interests of WhatsApp. You'll coordinate closely with our local and global policy teams, the WhatsApp business and product organizations and key cross-functional partners in Legal, Partnerships and Comms to execute our policy strategy, develop our external narrative around key policy challenges and advise product teams through the public policy lens.
As a Director, you will develop, organize, manage and communicate critical plans, initiatives and strategy. Technology moves quickly, so it's important that we work closely with politicians, regulators, academics and third parties around the issues that affect the Internet and our users. We advocate for WhatsApp on the big public policy issues of the day - including privacy, security and user safety -- and often play a part in high-profile debates. In this role, you'll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage campaigns and projects to tight deadlines. You'll apply your expertise to real-world scenarios, acting as an inspiring advocate and enthusiastic team player eager to help shape the future of Internet and mobile policy.
This role is based in Delhi.
- Develop and lead strategic outreach and policy campaigns to shape public and political dialogue in a way that benefits WhatsApp's users and the wider web
- Engage directly and build relations with policymakers, trade associations, industry partners, key opinion formers, non-profit groups and others to support policies that will help create/maintain a user-focused, private, safe and secure online environment
- Build external relationships strategically to help shape public and political dialogue
- Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues and thought leaders
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues and work cross-functionally to develop policy positions
- Lead framework and our policy strategy for issues including encryption, privacy, and content
- Bachelor's degree (advanced degree preferred)
- 15+ years of work experience, including experience managing high-profile policy campaigns and strategic outreach with diverse stakeholders within policy advocacy or in a government position
- Experience in internet technologies, security, privacy, content moderation and the surrounding policy environments (preferred)
- Experience executing cross-functional campaigns
- Experience in product counseling (preferred)
- Ability to work as part of a team and exercise good judgment and a sense of humor in a rapidly changing environment
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Lauren W.Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top