Director of Hardware Systems Engineering
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
At Facebook, we're building the next generation of devices and experiences that make people feel closer together, which we call Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality (AR/VR). The AR/VR organization includes Oculus and Portal products, as well as other hardware; AR and VR software and content and research and development labs. We are a team of world-class experts developing and shipping products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content.
Ideal candidates are those with experience in bringing products from concept stage through design, development, validation, and mass production. They will help establish a world-class hardware systems engineering team, supporting the development of our next-generation consumer product platforms that will provide breakthrough AR/VR user experiences. The candidates will lead our efforts to design and architect hardware platforms for our products working with experts in SOC, audio, camera, optics, sensor and wireless systems.
They must have strong interpersonal skills and communication skills along with a comprehensive understanding of cross-functional interconnectedness and deliverables to enable the realization of complex AR/VR products. Candidates must have keen focus on driving business results, ability to work in ambiguous/less defined environments, and strong willingness to collaborate and optimize overall business objectives.
- Lead hardware systems engineering teams in defining, designing, and developing hardware platforms for AR/VR consumer electronics products.
- Develop outstanding strategic relationships with product peers and engineering, research, business, design, and user research teams to define product requirements and architecture.
- Manage hardware trade-offs in delivering products with next-generation technology introduction.
- Drive alignment across cross-functional teams across in meeting program objectives and ensuring user experience, product cost, manufacturability, quality and go-to-market strategies are met.
- Organizational experience partnering with global leaders, HR and recruiting to develop and execute on a strategy to attract, retain and develop top talent and role model leadership best practices.
- Track record and demonstrated leadership experience in developing consumer hardware and software technologies into mass-market consumer products.
- Experience thinking strategically and executing methodically in an entrepreneurial environment.
- 5+ years people management experience including managing leaders and managing remotely across regions.
- Collaboration and relationship-building experience, working with all levels of management and individual contributors internally and externally.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Back to top