Director of Engineering, Environment Understanding
At Facebook+ (AR/VR) we are developing the future of Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR) and Mixed Reality (MR). We are currently seeking an innovative technology leader with a passion for working across disciplines to drive innovation and to develop the next generation of Environment Understanding technologies, connecting the physical and digital worlds into a single, shared, social experience.
Your job will be to both manage and partner with groups that are working across the full spectrum from research to product development, managing our technical investment portfolio supporting multiple products across different timelines. This will include presenting data driven roadmaps and product planning cycles, as well as managing requirements, development and subsequent work flows between displays, sensors, real-time software stacks and compute needs to jointly optimize the system performance envelope. This position involves working with early technology paths, with a focus on execution and working collaboratively to manage system maturation/risk, while providing clear and effective communication across the team.
- The position requires a combination of education and experience in leading an organization comprised of applied scientists and engineers from prototyping across development and integration of advanced systems relying heavily on Computer Vision and/or AI/Machine Learning technologies. Your responsibilities include:
- Owning the development of system requirements, and collaborating with respective teams to mature and integrate technologies necessary to create product architectures that can deliver these requirements
- Engaging cross-functionally with other researchers and engineers to develop concepts that advance the entire product pipeline (hardware, software, integration, infrastructure, and applications)
- Recruit world-class talent and provide mentorship to team members
- Working closely with various organizations to define and execute the long term roadmaps
- Coordinating with research, partnership and legal to both define and execute technology development with key partners & suppliers
- Developing and communicating technology development strategies and status
- Facilitating and working with teams to proactively alleviate project bottlenecks
- MS degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent.
- 6+ years of management experience in multi-disciplinary teams at the intersection of tech and product, including building performing teams and organizations.
- Experience recruiting and manage technical teams, including performance management.
- Experience in managing teams productizing Computer Vision PR AI/Machine Learning technologies from conception to end.
- Leadership and interpersonal communication experience. Experience working across many disciplines, drive best practices, and mentor team members.
- Experience working with embedded platforms, including RTOS, Android or Linux systems.
- Technical or experience in leading teams/projects in the environment understanding domain
- PhD in a related field of Computer Vision, Computer Graphics or AI/Machine Learning
- Flexibility and resilience in a dynamic environment
- Experience managing joint hardware-software development and associated rapid prototyping projects
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Yumeng T.Research Scientist
Yumeng spends her days working with machine learning models for search products and completing product-level coding projects.
Back to top