Director, Network Planning
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Every day we strive to provide the best possible experience to our users that are now numbered in billions, and to make that possible, we have deployed an ultra-high capacity backbone network that spans the Globe. We are looking for a Director of Network Planning to join our Backbone team to re-imagine and support the expansion of our global network that touches and changes lives of billions for the better every day.
The successful candidate will have experience building teams and grooming/mentoring team members. Specifically, she/he will be an innovative, intellectually curious, tinkerer-type and a strong problem solver who stays current on modern solutions and best practices. She/he will participate, contribute and drive technical discussions with the teams when necessary. This candidate does not need to have the "correct" answer to everything, but rather should be able to drive the conversation toward a productive solution by including all the right stakeholders, weighing pros/cons, business needs, timelines, etc.
This role requires someone who has individual experience in structuring organizations and optimizing them for execution, as well as participating in recruiting and building teams. One of Network Engineering's core values is to "get things done" through hard work and flexibility, and we are seeking a candidate who can lead from the front; she/he should be able to prioritize what it takes to drive the bigger mission forward and translate that vision into results.
- Be a highly technical Director with deep experience in Optimization, Planning and Data science
- Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
- Be an effective people manager
- Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed
- Measure and improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes that are working well and build the next level of improvements
- Work cross-functionally with highly technical software and network infrastructure teams, understand their goals, and create tools and visualizations to get the right data in the hands of teams to make decisions
- Align the team to execute new initiatives to optimize network usage
- Develop planning methodologies to increase reliability, stability, efficiency, and service agility of Facebook networks
- Support the team in designing IP topology, taking into consideration physical path, resiliency availability, performance and cost
- Collaboration with engineering, finance, and sourcing functions to support network acquisitions strategies
- Serve as an evangelist for the team and overall culture, both internally and externally
- 5+ years experience managing a planning related software and optimization team
- Knowledge of networking and distributed systems
- B.S. or M.S in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Experience recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management and managing engineers
- Analytical and problem-solving experience
- Experience communicating across the organization, including sourcing, engineering and program management
Back to top