Director, Data Science & Platforms - SMB
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Our SMB team contributes directly to Facebook's mission by helping businesses grow and creating jobs. We focus on connecting every small and medium-sized business in the world with their customers on Facebook, Instagram, and Messenger and then helping them grow through solutions like pages, advertising, and messaging. We succeed when we help our customers grow their business and create jobs in their communities. Our team is one of only two sales channels responsible for Facebook's multi-billion dollar advertising business. And we help more than 99% of our over six million advertisers. Our potential business is even larger with more than seventy million active SMB pages. We have a unique opportunity to serve one of the largest communities of SMBs in the world. And to make each one of their experiences personalized, we rely on data, insights, and powerful platforms. Thus, we've built a different type of sales team. One that balances technology and people. And one that we hope will blaze new territory for the entire industry.
We're seeking a data science leader who is curious to understand and then unstoppable in transforming insight into real-world impact for our clients and their communities. This team uses a wide range of skills in machine learning, statistics, econometrics, data mining, and data visualization. And they apply these skills against real-world problems like segmenting clients, hypothesizing new treatments, designing experimental frameworks, optimizing channel marketing, and building platforms to support millions of clients.
The ideal candidate will have experience building and managing scaled support operations, overseeing global teams, recognizing patterns of success (and failure) quickly, and working cross-functionally. Success in this position requires a passion for leadership, strong analytical skills, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment.
This position reports to the Global Vice President for SMB, and is located in our headquarters office in Menlo Park, California. Global travel is required.
- Recruit, retain, and develop a large team of leading data scientists and platform specialists
- Contribute as a member of the SMB executive team
- Strengthen the data-wins-arguments culture within the SMB organization
- Design the insight tools and platforms from learning from our clients
- Establish the measurement frameworks to enable the entire organization to be data-driven
- Partner with global field teams to turn hypotheses into data-driven insights
- Turn insights into hypotheses and hypotheses into action to grow our clients' success and our business
- Represent the SMB organization with leaders across Facebook (e.g. product, sales operations, engineering, sales, business development, marketing, human resources, sales planning/operations and finance)
- BA/BS in Math, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Physics, or other quantitative fields
- Experience leading data science teams, including managing managers
- 12+ years experience in data science or analytics
- 10+ years experience in building and leading teams
- Experience in complex and analytical operations
- Experience in prioritizing a high volume of complex tasks
- Track record of influencing and communicating cross-functionally
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field
- Avid Facebook/Instagram user
- Experience working with sales, marketing or customer service teams
- Experience working with, or in support of, diverse communities
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top