Director, Capacity Engineering and Analysis
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a technology leader with sound software systems, business process and strategy experience to drive transformation of Infrastructure Capacity Annual Budgeting, Ordering, Pricing and Reporting. Establishing Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) based decision making and product/feature cost/value frameworks for Facebook as part of the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team (CEA). The Director of Capacity Engineering & Analysis will build a team of engineers and data analysts from the ground up to drive this transformation and be responsible for planning and allocation of millions of servers (compute, storage), hundreds of MWs of power and several billion dollars of capital every year. This role will interact closely with a number of cross-functional partners, including capacity and performance engineers, data scientists, optimization engineers, capacity planners, supply chain, finance, data center construction and operations, network engineering, hardware engineering, software engineering and systems & tooling engineering. The initiative is to help build one of the largest Internet services in the world with tens of billions of user requests, tens of exabytes of data, thousands of giga bps of network flow while maintaining operational and resource allocation efficiency. This position is full-time.
- Transform the current annual infra budgeting process for servers including redefining analytical models and driving automation
- Transform the current capacity ordering process from a quarterly cadence to continuous ordering and fulfillment
- Investigate and implement internal pricing mechanisms for different types of Infra capacity with the goal of globally optimal resource allocation to meet Facebook's objectives
- Transform reporting on actual consumption of resources against budgets and goals
- Introduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) based frameworks when making decisions on capacity allocation, decommissioning of capacity etc.
- Develop a framework to track the cost and value of various features/products to support Infra budget/capacity allocation decisions
- Build from the ground up and retain a world-class global team of engineers and analysts team through mentorship, guidance and career development
- Provide definition and deliverables on project roadmap for automation
- Lead partnerships with Capacity and Performance Engineering, Supply Chain, Finance, Data Science, Data Center Construction & Operations, Network Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering and Systems & Tooling teams to find the optimal way to scale the infrastructure
- Communicate cross-functionally across various teams, organizations and internal and external stakeholders to drive infrastructure capacity development and management
- Bachelors in an engineering or analytical field like computer science, electrical & computer engineering, operations research, etc.
- 15+ years of experience working in a technology company planning and understanding infrastructure capacity
- Knowledge in distributed infrastructure to support a global internet business
- Experience working well on ambiguous problems and manage the uncertainty of high-growth company and build a new team and function from the ground up
- 5+ years experience leading teams
- Additional experience in capacity & performance engineering, business, strategy or supply chain
Back to top