Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Open Source Developer Advocacy team is responsible for the relationship between the Facebook open source program and software developers from around the world. A Developer Advocate promotes standards and good development practices, by actively engaging with developer communities, raising awareness of the company's developer-centric activities, and guiding and educating those developers that use Facebook open source offerings. This is a highly technical team, dedicated to open and honest communication, world-class software, and strong community citizenship.
You will interact with the most innovative engineers inside and outside of Facebook every day. You will write code samples, articles and tutorials for developers. You will highlight Facebook Open Source, a wide range of technology stacks, and many contemporary software techniques & trends - such as mobile and machine learning. You will represent Facebook at developer conferences, events, hackathons, and with the technical press and bloggers. You will work on open-source software projects in a variety of programming languages. And you will also advocate internally for the needs of the developer community, working with Facebook product and engineering teams to determine features and technology strategy.
We are looking for a Developer Advocate to strengthen our open source ecosystem, ensuring we have the best-in-class technology offerings, community management and developer representation around the globe.
- Create code samples, demos, articles and tutorials for a highly technical audience
- Present technical sessions at conferences, running workshops and hands-on hackathons
- Liaise with Facebook product and engineering teams to communicate third-party feedback
- Assisting in the creation and maintenance of a variety of open-source projects
- Shepherd open source projects from incubation to public release
- Own and drive community engagement for high profile open source projects
- Collaborate with internal teams to understand and vocalize open source strategies across a pillar of projects
- Drive efficiency ideas to make our open source program processes more streamlined and effective
- Establish and execute programs that help increase the awareness and reach of our open source brand
- A willingness and ability to travel worldwide, extensively
- BA/BS in Computer Science, or an equivalent degree and experience
- Experience of blogging, technical documentation, and developer outreach
- Experience presenting to technical audiences
- Knowledge of existing follower base of developers through social media, a blog, or books
- Experience understanding the Facebook Open Source Programs and its offerings
- Experience in the principles of social design
Back to top